Saturday, January 5, 2019

Skate Skiing

It was Ladies Day at Sundance, and I tried skate skiing for the first time.  I took a class and received instruction.  While I am now fairly comfortable doing classic cross-country skiing, I found skate skiing to feel really strange.  In theory, I understand how it works, but it just feels weird.  It's a similar leg motion to ice skating, but with far more resistance than ice or roller skating, and by the time I had skied up to the meadow, I was feeling it in my hip flexors.  I felt it in my hip flexors all day, in fact.  I did practice on the relative flat in the meadow, and going back and forth, I was beginning to feel like I was getting it.  But I'm not sure I'm going to strap on the skate skis again anytime soon.  It was beautiful to be out skiing, and enjoying the winter weather.

Skiers Janie Rasmussen, Analyn Smith, Briahna Bushman, me, and Jen Hodnett
I was struggling to get my boot into the binding, 
so I look silly standing on one leg like a chubby, black, cold flamingo.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment