Friday, January 18, 2019

Kent's Birthday


Today is Kent's birthday.  He has become, officially, an old guy.  He turned 62 which now qualifies him for free "senior citizen" discounts.  At Wendy's they'll give him a free drink just because he's old.  The children say he's "ancient," and while that is an exaggeration, I know when I was ten and twelve, I thought 62 was really old. 

All week long I've been asking Kent what he wants to do for his birthday.  His response every time has been, "I don't know.  Let me think about it."  Well, I let him think, and in the end, he came up with nothing.  So nothing is pretty much what we did.  He sat around quietly and did some reading (his favorite hobby) and I made hamburgers and french fries for dinner (his favorite meal), and we did the hang around.  No one came over for pie, we didn't go out, I didn't even get him anything as a present.  But all that was the way he wanted it, so that's the way he got it. 

Kent is terrific.  He is a kind, smart, patient man who is good to the children and to me.  He's faithful and always willing to do a good deed.  He's stead and low on the drama which is just what we need around here.  He can do stuff, too, which makes him very handy to have around the house.  We are certainly glad he was born and that we get to celebrate him, even in a low-key way, every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment