Saturday, June 30, 2018

Neighborhood Block Party

This evening was the annual Drake Family hosted neighborhood Block Party.  As always, it was a rollicking good time.  We grilled and ate, had tug-of-wars, coaster car races, a dunk tank, and a water balloon throw/catch, plus lots of time to visit with neighbors (adults) and run around wildly with friends (kids).  I suppose the adults could have run around wildly with friends, but I think most of them enjoyed the more staid visiting.  It is a delight to see Brandt and Blythe in their kid element, and it's even better for Kent and me to catch up with neighbors we don't get to talk with all the time.  We love this summer tradition and feel so blessed to live in the neighborhood.

Janie and I are wearing our matching biker chick shirts we got at Little Red.
I'm filling mine out a bit more than Janie.
I'm happy she's my friend.

Water balloon catch.



When we were preparing to go, I suggested the kids put on their swimming suits if they were planning on getting in the dunk tank.  Both of them said, "I'm not getting in," so neither of them wore their suits.  Brandt didn't get in the dunk tank, but after about an hour there, Blythe ran up to me and said, "Mom! Lilly made me get in the dunk tank, and I got soaking wet! IN MY CLOTHES!"  Sure enough.  She lasted until the sun began to go down behind the houses and it got a bit cold.  Forty-two seconds after seeing her across the cul-de-sac looking like she was shivering and turning to Kent to say, "Blythe's going to come tell us how cold she is," she arrived, informing us how cold she was.  We took that as our cue to head home.

Brandt disappeared early on.  He and Paul were eating and chatting together.  Paul has been out of town for the past week, and Brandt has missed him.  They went up to Paul's house to watch Captain American: Civil War.  The block party seemed a funner occasion to me, but Brandt and Paul both love Marvel, and Brandt had a good time.  To each his own.



No comments:

Post a Comment