Friday, June 29, 2018

Hiking, Glorious Hiking!

For years now, I have had a sister I visit teach who isn't active in the Church at the moment, and who hasn't really wanted me to come visit her like that.  Her name is Kim.  She's very friendly.  Her daughter Ella has been in Brandt's class several times through elementary school, and I know her as a friendly acquaintance.  She's always very receptive to my friendly overtures, she just hasn't been interested in me as a Church representative.  

I get it.  She's not doing the church thing at the moment, and I don't want her feel like I'm pushy or only interested in her because I've been assigned to be her visiting teacher, now minister.  But I've been nudged by the Spirit to reach out in a more meaningful way.  I take her things on her birthday and at Christmas and we watch her dog when they go out of town, but I've wanted to do more.  In March, I was doing a lazy mom Iron-mom, where you swim, bike, and run the distances that are done in an Ironman triathlon, but you do it over a whole month.  I got the biking and swimming in quickly, but the running wasn't a thrill.  I was just walking and had the impression to invite Kim to come walking with me.  It was an out of the blue thought, leading me to believe it was inspiration.  I texted her and asked, fully expecting to receive a "Thanks, but no thanks," reply, but got just the opposite. She said she would love to go for a walk.  

So we went.  Well, we went for a hike.  Kim loves to be in the mountain and so does Hound (the dog), so she hikes up Rock Canyon regularly.  We made a date, she picked me up, and we went and hiked.  For TWO HOURS!!  For two whole hours we talked about all sort of things, and I got to know her much better than I ever have had a chance to do before.  A couple of weeks later, we went again.  Over the past couple of months we've hiked together a couple of times a month, and I'm really feeling like Kim and I are actual friends now.  I've just loved it.  Not only has it been fun to be with Kim, but Rock Canyon and Big Springs have both been so green and luscious, and the chance to get out in the early morning and hike has been as nice as getting out in the early morning to bike.  

Thus far, we've not really talked about Church.  We've had good talks, and I feel like they are getting more personal, like we're sharing more, and I'm glad.  I don't know what has taken Kim and her husband, Stace, from the Church, but I hope she'll eventually feel comfortable enough with me that we could talk about Church related issues.  And even if we never talk, I hope that she'll realize she's got a friend, me, who would greet her warmly and sit by her during meetings if she ever decides to return.  

As an added bonus, the hiking has been glorious!

These are up Rock Canyon










These are from Big Springs just today.






Kim is looking into the sun and the lighting isn't brilliant,
but I took it to give perspective to how tall the flowers are.
They were taller than me!




This beautiful stream with the moss covered rocks is right by the Big Springs campground
where the fifth graders go to camp.
It's a magically little stream.
If I believed in fairies, I would be certain they lived here.

No comments:

Post a Comment