Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Before and After--the Laundry Room

I told Kent at the beginning of January that by the end of the month, I wanted to have the laundry room redone, with flooring finally.  He agreed that this was a good idea, and a good time frame.  I have wanted to use encaustic concrete tiles which are bright patterned tiles that remind me of southern Spain.  They are ridiculously expensive, like $9 for an 8x8 inch tile, but I love them!  Spending over $1,000 to tile the laundry room is ridiculous, so I went looking for cheaper ones that were still fun.  I found these:

I love them and think they will be great in the laundry room.  They go with our already blue walls in our main living space, and will blend with the natural oak cabinets which I don't want to have to do anything with.  They don't match the red walls, but painting is not a big deal.  While Kent was at World of Concrete, I painted the walls the yellow in the tile, which ended up being the same yellow I had painted the entry and stairwell last year.  So funny that they matched!

I love this red.  
I really, really, really, really, really wanted tile that would match it.
Alas!
I shall have to paint something in the basement this color.
Truth be told, I wanted to pain the living room this red, but Kent wouldn't let me.
Now it's yellow.

While I gave us an end of January deadline, we didn't make it.  Not even close.  It took time for the tile to get to us, they were poorly packaged so a bunch, like 20, were broken and we had to wait for a second batch, and then we decided we should seal them before laying them.  That took time, and, months later, nothing had been finished.  Well, not true.  I had painted.  But still no floor.  

Then, in May, we finally got around to laying the tile.  It didn't take that long, we got it done in a couple of hours, but it just had taken so long to get around to it.  I absolutely LOVE IT!!!! The tile cheers up the space, it reminds me of southern Spain, and it pops with color and blends with everything.  I think it's just perfect.  Kent says he'll get used to it, and as it's in the laundry room, he doesn't much care.  We needed a new window treatment, and I wanted to make a long curtain to cover up the closet opening in the room as we got rid of the louvered door that was there.  I love the way the whole thing came together, and am happy to finally have the whole thing finished.  Hoorah for crossing a house project off the list!









No comments:

Post a Comment