Sunday, June 3, 2018

Nose Issue

Some time ago, on Facebook, I saw a clever way of extracting something from a child's nose.  Instead of taking the child to the doctor and having the trauma of the doctor sticking something up the nose, a doctor offered a less invasive method.  Hold closed the nostril without something in it, then blow sharply into the child's mouth to force air through the other nostril, blowing out the obstruction.  The doctor and parent then demonstrated to great success.  I tagged Mikayla with this brilliant suggestion because I knew that sooner or later, she would need to use it with Cora.  

She did.  

When I offered this clever solution, I little thought that I would ever be needing it for my own children.  Blythe turns ten in two days, Brandt twelve in a month, so our days of sticking things up the nose were well passed.

Or so I thought.  

Blythe just came to me and said she had something stuck up her nose that she couldn't get out. What?!  When I asked what it was, she said it was a bit of tissue that she had stuffed up her nose to try to get boogers out. When I peered up her nose with a flashlight, I discovered a wad way, way up her nostril.  She had really shoved it up there.  I did not want to plug her nostril and blow into her mouth, because really, who would?  But it had to come out, obviously.  I had Kent come and hold a flashlight, while I stuck some tweezers up her nose. It took three tries for me to get the tweezers far enough up to actually grab on to the wad of tissue, but I was able to retrieve it.  Who thought I'd ever have to worry about it with my own children?

I did not take any pictorial documentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment