Sunday, June 3, 2018

A Sabbath Day

It was a lovely Sabbath, a day that feed my soul and lifted me spiritually.  It was fast Sunday and I was asking the Lord to help a loved one as well as Kent in his new business venture.  We always want God on our side, and following Alma's advice in chapter 34 of the Book of Mormon, I'm crying to the Lord.
17 Therefore may God grant unto you, my brethren, that ye may begin to exercise your faith unto repentance, that ye begin to call upon his holy name, that he would have mercy upon you: 
18 Yea, cry unto him for mercy; for he is mighty to save.
19 Yea, humble yourselves, and continue in prayer unto him.
20 Cry unto him when ye are in your fields, yea, over all your flocks.
21 Cry unto him in your houses, yea, over all your household, both morning, mid-day, and evening.
22 Yea, cry unto him against the power of your enemies.
23 Yea, cry unto him against the devil, who is an enemy to all righteousness.
24 Cry unto him over the crops of your fields, that ye may prosper in them.
25 Cry over the flocks of your fields, that they may increase.
26 But this is not all; ye must pour out your souls in your closets, and your secret places, and in your wilderness.
27 Yea, and when you do not cry unto the Lord, let your hearts be full, drawn out in prayer unto him continually for your welfare, and also for the welfare of those who are around you.
We have no flocks, but we do need an increase in those we can produce product for, so I'm crying to the Lord.  I always find that when I'm fasting for a real purpose, when my thoughts are turned to the Lord, pleading for His intervention in my life, or the lives of those I love, my fasts are much easier.

I had no early meetings today, so Kent and I both slept late, I didn't wake until 8:00am, and I lay in bed reading scriptures and then finishing up a book I've been reading.  The children made themselves breakfast--Brandt ate left-over orange chicken and chips and salsa--and we got ready for church at 11:00.  It was testimony meeting today, and many shared such sweet testimonies.  Mia Thornock was baptized yesterday, and she bore her testimony about the warm feeling she had when she was baptized.  Her mom, Kerrie, bore her testimony about the power of ministering.  The baptism was wonderful, but last month their son Luke had a biking accident and broke his nose in three places.  They were recipients of lots of ministering and love.  Luke bore his testimony, too, but he was so nervous, he mumbled softly into the microphone while his dad, Jake, made frantic motions for his to speak louder.  I only understood "In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."  But he did it.

Britton Helquist, a newly turned twelve deacon, also bore his testimony.  He said several times how nervous he was, how his legs were shaking, and how he didn't really want to be there, but he felt the Spirit telling him to get up, so he did.  He had been to the temple for the first time to do baptisms and loved how it felt in the temple, and he felt the power of the priesthood he had only recently received.

My dear friend, Christine Baird, died on Thursday morning (pancreatic cancer), and several people honored her in what they said.  She was a wonderful woman, smart, so funny, faithful, believing, humble, and a woman who loved God's creations.  She loved to be in her garden, planting and nourishing her flowers and bushes and trees.  She lovingly cared for plants and people.  Her most recent church calling was as a nursery worker, and the little children loved her because she loved them.  Her husband, Dennis, bore his testimony and shared with us such tender expressions of his love and her love.  He said last week she was in a terrible way, writhing on the floor in pain.  They were able to get her calmed down and into bed after the pain medication took effect, and she was able to sleep.  When it was time for bed, he woke her and said, "I'm going to say a prayer here next to you."  She said, "I need to humble myself and kneel with you," so she climbed out of bed and knelt next to him.  They held hands, he put his arm around her, and then he said a prayer.  When he finished, she kissed him and then said, "My time is short.  I don't know if I'll live through the night.  I love you.  I love our children and family.  I love our ward members.  Please tell them for me."  This continued for several nights, always with her ending her day with expressions of love to Dennis, their family, and the ward.  It was difficult but touching to hear Dennis share all that with us, and when the meeting was over and I embraced him, I could hardly control my emotions.  I will really miss Christine, a friend I have admired and enjoyed for years.  We were in book group together from 2006 until 2015, and when we were together, she always made me laugh.  She was very insightful, too, about the things we were reading.  For the past six or seven years, we have had an almost monthly dinner out with Heidi Tanner, Maureen Ogles, and Cinda Morgan.  We have shared all the important details of our lives, our challenges and fears and joys and triumphs, and I will miss her presence when we gather together.  Last year, she gave me three large pots with trellises to go in them.  She was simplifying her yard to make it easier for Dennis to care for, while I am always looking to make my yard a bit more complicated.  I've got two pots on the front porch on either side of the door, and one in the back on the patio.  They are full of beautiful plants and remind me of Christine every time I look at them.

Sunday school and Relief Society were good meetings, too, and after church I made some ministering visits to several sisters.  I love being in the homes of my Relief Society members, just being able to talk to them and feel connected.  I saw Cinda Morgan and Stephanie Magleby, and dropped some papers off to Linda Pugmire and chatted with her and Gregg for a bit, too.  I'm so blessed to be connected with so many of our neighbors, and I really love them.  I feel an urge to do more as the Relief Society president, and want to be live a more guided life.  That's what our council was about in Relief Society today, and I recognize that I need to be more prayerful about seeking direction and then following what the Lord would have me do.

Richard Ledford came to dinner this evening, as he does every fast Sunday, and we had a yummy dinner.  Every fast Sunday dinner is yummy.  We invited him to come to the summer concert in the park with us, but he had a ministering appointment, so we invited Saneh and Willie Echols to join us.  They both came and we sat in the park together, talking and listening to the great band music.  It was a lovely program, the temperature was perfect under the trees, and the evening was peaceful.  We ate popcorn and drank lemonade and clapped along to Sousa's Stars and Stripes Forever.

Brandt participated in the mid-concert march around the park.
Blythe didn't.



I read to Blythe tonight.  We're reading Anne of Green Gables at the moment, and we're both enjoying it.  Blythe makes character assessments and asks lots of questions, "I don't like Marilla," "Anne is really imaginative," "Does Anne ever like Gilbert?" "Will Diana ever be her friend again?"  Anticipation is hard and exciting, all at the same time.  And good literature is a marvelous thing.

I finished off the day with a visit with Mikayla.  She had my camera, needing pictures from our time at Heber Valley Camp, so I went over to collect it.  I need those pictures, too.  We sat out in the front of the house and visited, laughing and crying together.  I'm glad my sister lives so close to me.  Fingers crossed it is ever so.

I felt God's tremendous love today.  He knows me and mine.  We are His children and He loves us.  Life is good, with all its challenge and sorrow, and with all its triumph and joy.  I feel to thank my Heavenly Father for the blessings which are mine and ours.  He is good and kind and I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment