Saturday, September 28, 2019

The Lord Speaks to Me

I have been trying more diligently to hear the Lord's voice speaking to me.  He speaks to me, but I don't always listen or create an atmosphere where I can hear with my ears and understand with my heart.  When I allow myself to be quiet, give myself time to study, and set aside the secular to-dos, the Lord is there, ready and willing to communicate with me.  He's always there, but I'm not always available.

This morning, during my scripture study, He spoke to me.  His message?  Repent.  I'm in the early chapter in Alma, and in chapter five, Alma is preaching to those in Zarahemla.  Alma reminds those in Zarahemla of his father and his belief in Abinadi's words, the conversion of a group who listened to Alma's words and their baptism in the waters of Mormon.  He says, "A mighty change was also wrought in their hearts, and they humbled themselves and put their trust in the true and living God.  And behold, they were faithful until the end; therefore they were saved." (v13)

Alma then asks the people lots of questions about their actions, choices, attitudes, and treatment of others.  They are spiritually probing questions that should prompt spiritual reflection and change.  That's what repentance is really; spiritual reflection and change.  I taught Relief Society last Sunday, and I taught from President Nelson's talk in the priesthood session of April's General Conference, and from President Oak's talk in the same conference, but Sunday morning.  President Nelson, like Alma, wants us to be more like Christ.  He said,
When we choose to repent, we choose to change! We allow the Savior to transform us into the best version of ourselves. We choose to grow spiritually and receive joy—the joy of redemption in Him. When we choose to repent, we choose to become more like Jesus Christ!
I want to be more like Jesus Christ.  I've had very harsh feelings of late, lots of anger and frustration and hurt that I know are not feelings conducive to receiving inspiration and direction from the spirit.  I have tried to be forgiving and have charity in my heart of all men, but I've fallen well short of the mark.  In chapter five, Alma tells the people to repent multiple times.
  32 Yea, even wo unto all ye workers of iniquity; repent, repent, for the Lord God hath spoken it!
 33 Behold, he sendeth an invitation unto all men, for the arms of mercy are extended towards them, and he saith: Repent, and I will receive you.

 49 And now I say unto you that this is the order after which I am called, yea, to preach unto my beloved brethren, yea, and every one that dwelleth in the land; yea, to preach unto all, both old and young, both bond and free; yea, I say unto you the aged, and also the middle aged, and the rising generation; yea, to cry unto them that they must repent and be born again.
 50 Yea, thus saith the Spirit: Repent, all ye ends of the earth, for the kingdom of heaven is soon at hand; yea, the Son of God cometh in his glory, in his might, majesty, power, and dominion. Yea, my beloved brethren, I say unto you, that the Spirit saith: Behold the glory of the King of all the earth; and also the King of heaven shall very soon shine forth among all the children of men.
 51 And also the Spirit saith unto me, yea, crieth unto me with a mighty voice, saying: Go forth and say unto this people—Repent, for except ye repent ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of heaven.
 62 I speak by way of command unto you that belong to the church; and unto those who do not belong to the church I speak by way of invitation, saying: Come and be baptized unto repentance, that ye also may be partakers of the fruit of the tree of life.
Repentance is a wonderful blessing, and I am going to accept the Lord's invitation and admonition to repent.  Repentance needs to be a daily part of my life, and I am going to be better at this.  President Nelson said, "Daily repentance is the pathway to purity, and purity brings power. Personal purity can make us powerful tools in the hands of God. Our repentance—our purity—will empower us to."  I want the purity and power that comes from repentance, because I want to be empowered with the Spirit of the Lord.  I want to be an instrument in God's hands, a faithful servant upon whom the Lord can rely to do his work with faithfulness and diligence.  I want to be free of pride and fear and anger so I can be filled with compassion, faith, and charity.  I want those who interact with me every day to see the Savior reflected in my countenance and know that I am a disciple of Jesus Christ.  I want to be good and be able to stand before God with clean hands and a pure heart.  As President Nelson invited, I'm going to do better and be better.


No comments:

Post a Comment