Thursday, February 14, 2019

Valentine's Day

It was a very busy Valentine's Day.  Well, busy for some more than others.  Brandt went to school, came home from school, and didn't have much else going on.  Kent went to work and then the temple, but then not much else.  But Blythe and I.  We were busy!

Being in fifth grade, Blythe is still doing the Valentine's Day box, valentines exchange, and class party.  She needed a box.  Two weeks ago she told me she wanted to make a giant mini hand santizier, but I told her that wasn't going to work and to think of something else.  She didn't.  So on Monday, she told me we had to start on her box, the giant mini hand santizier.  No, I told her again.  That was NOT happening.  She was of the opinion that I could somehow mold plastic and paint it with glowing paint and who knows what else.  She went looking on Pinterest for other ideas and found a gumball machine.  It was only four feet high and would require a power saw to make, so sadly, that idea was also nixed.  Nixed until she found a smaller one made from an oatmeal canister and a plastic fish bowl.  With relatively little effort, we were able to make a reasonable facsimilie of a gumball machine, and make Blythe a happy ten year old.  To go along with the gumball machine, I bought gumballs she put into sacks with a round, pink piece of paper that she wrote "I 'chews' you" on.  It was just right for the valentines exchange, and I had her do most of the work.

I was fairly irritated about the whole valentines box, especially as there was a competition for prizes for best box, most valentines-y, most pink, and whatever.  Blythe wanted to win, so there were BIG plans and BIG ideas.  I wanted something simple she could do herself.  Yesterday, I discovered a note from her teacher that said she should have used a shoebox, decorated it herself, and not tried to make it ridiculously fancy.  I glowered at Blythe, pointed out the shoebox requirement, to which she replied, "I told Miss B we had already started with something else, not the shoebox, and she said it was fine."  It was NOT fine with me, but next year I will not be suckered into making something huge and grandiose, even if Blythe feels I am the meanest mom ever.

valentine assembly

A gumball machine


I discovered that Blythe had made a to-do list for today, making sure that she didn't forget anything.  She often makes these sorts of lists, and I appreciate how organized and thorough she is.  Here is a copy of her list.


First thing at school, perhaps after "set up box," Blythe went with all the fifth and sixth graders to Classic Skating for skating, jumping, and game playing.  There had been much talk about a "marriage" taking place at Classic Skating, a marriage between Lilly Bradford and some boy she likes.  Someone was going to push the boy into Lilly, she was going to act all surprised, then grab him and make him say "I do" before skating off into the sunset.  Or rather, skating around and around and around into the neon lights together.  Turns out, none of it happened, which is all for the best as they are only in fifth grade.  Blythe said it was great fun.

I got this picture off of Instagram.
That's our Blythe, pink shirt, pony tail, back to us.
It's the only picture I have of the event.

After Classic Skating and a bit of lunch, there was a valentine's party.  The fifth grade classes mixed up, then went to each of the three different classrooms for three different activities--games, a craft, and sugar cookie decorating.  I was responsible for bringing sugar cookies, which I wisely ordered from Macey's and just picked up.  No baking necessary.  I was only to bring cookies as someones else were assigned frosting and sprinkles.  Turns out, one of those someones thought the party was tomorrow, and we were very short frosting.  After they got started, I dashed over to Day's Market to get more frosting and sprinkles, spending an additional $35 over the $45 I had spent on cookies so there would be enough for all 90 students.  I got back just after the other person brought the rest of the stuff we needed.  I handed out cookies, sprinkles, red hots, and pink and red M&Ms, then encouraged the kids not to lick the frosting knives or throw sprinkles at each other.  It didn't take long for them to frost and eat their cookies, and we had too much time in our rotation.  Pandemonium reigned.  

Blythe with her frosted cookie. 
That's all she got.
Just frosting.
No sprinkles for her group, because they didn't arrive until later.

Prior to going to Blythe's class party, I had a very busy morning.  I went over to Mikayla's house early to help get breakfast, get small people dressed, and Brick off to school.  It wasn't super cold today, so I suggested Brick and I walk to school.  Cora wanted to come, so the three of us walked over.  Cora wanted to stay and was disappointed that she had to go home, but we had a stroke of lucky timing.  Cora has wanted to get into a school bus.  We saw one in the parking lot of Macey's grocery store one day, but the bus driver wasn't inside, so we couldn't get in.  But on our way home, the buses that were taking Blythe and her classmates to Classic Skating pulled up in front of the school.  I asked one of the drivers if Cora could climb in and check it out and he said yes.  Not only did he let us get in, he let Cora sit in the driver's seat and toot the horn.  She was thrilled!  It just made her day.


When we got back, I helped Mikayla with bathtime for the twins, getting them dressed and fed, and snuggling them and other little people, too.  Kal likes to be up on the couch when the babies are eating, and Cora does, too.  No one wants to be left out.  It was a bit wild, but sweet, too, being with my favorite really little people.


The second Thursday of the month is our Relief Society weekday meeting, and although it was Valentine's Day, I felt we should have an activity.  We chose to do something in the morning so as not to interfere with evening festivities, and had drive through ministering interviews at Sodasistas.  We offered sugar cookies and signature sodas, like they have at Swig or Sodalicious, while a member of the Relief Society presidency sat in the car and had a ministering interview.  It was so fun to visit with the sisters, we probably each saw seven or eight, and we got lots of interviews done all at once during an hour and a half.  We all loved it.  We'll almost certainly do it again.

The rest of the day wasn't all that hectic.  After school, I had the kids help me tidy up a bit, they worked on homework, I made dinner, we did some reading, the kids played a bit on the computer.  Kent brought home flowers for me (roses) and Blythe (tulips), and I gave everyone cookies from Justine Banks.  The kids got paint your own cookies which they both promptly ate.  I'm not even sure Brandt bothered to paint his.  It was a good day, spent with those I love in all aspects of my life.

Brandt took this and many other pictures of me preparing dinner.
I look chubby.



No comments:

Post a Comment