Monday, February 18, 2019

Little Women

I am currently reading Little Women aloud to Blythe.  Recently, we saw an updated movie version of the book with my mom, Mikayla, Tysen, Ava, Sharae, and Makenna.  Blythe and I had just finished a book, needed something new to start, and I thought we should start Little Women.  Blythe has been enjoying it, even reading ahead of me once or twice.  It's a wonderful story and has led to great discussion about various topics.  Blythe stops me regularly to ask what words mean, as Alcott uses big words and interesting phrases.  I'll write down some of those words for Blythe to take to school to possibly use for their vocabulary exercises. 

As we've been reading, I've been delighted with a couple of quotes, both from Marmee, of course, about life and love.  I wanted to record them here.

Chapter 8   "My child, the troubles and temptations of your life are beginning, and may be many; but you can overcome and outlive them all, if you learn to feel the strength and tenderness of your Heavenly Father as you do that of your earthly one.  The more you love and trust Him, the nearer you will feel to Him, and the less you will depend on human power and wisdom.  His love and care never tire or change, can never be taken from you, but may become the source of lifelong peace, happiness, and strength.  Believe this heartily, and go to God with all your little cares, and hopes, and sins, and sorrows, as freely and confidingly as you come to your mother."

Chapter 9   "I want my daughters to be beautiful, accomplished, and good; to be admired, loved, and respected, to have a happy youth, to be well and wisely married, and to lead useful, pleasant lives, with as little care and sorrow to try them as God sees fit to send.  To be loved and chosen by a good man is the best and sweetest thing which can happen to a woman; and I sincerely hope my girls may know this beautiful experience.  It is natural to think of it, Meg; right to hope and wait for it, and wise to prepare for it; so that, when the happy time comes, you may feel ready for the duties, and worthy of the joy.  My dear girls, I am ambitious for you, but not to have you make a dash in the world, --marry rich men merely because they are rich, or have splendid houses, which are not homes, because love is wanting.  Money is a needful and precious thing,--and when well used, a noble thing,--but I never want you to think it is the first or only prize to strive for.  I'd rather see you poor men's wives, if you were happy, beloved, contented, than queens on thrones, without self-respect and peace."

No comments:

Post a Comment