Friday, February 22, 2019

Embracing Winter

When I woke early for spin, it was snowing.  The flakes glistened, illuminated by the street lamp.  It was quiet and cold and I really wanted to stay in bed, but Maureen was expecting me to pick her up, and I had a date with a stationart bike.  Mid class, I thought to myself, 'I don't need to help Mikayla this morning (Guy is home from work today), I don't have anything really scheduled, and while I certainly have lots to do, I think I'll go skiing.'  I texted four friends right then and there, pedaling as I asked if they would like to join me.  Linda Pugmire took me up on my offer, and at 8:45, I picked her up to head to Midway and Wasatch Mountain State Park.

Linda hadn't skied at Wasatch Mountain, and I really like it.  It's relatively flat because it is on the golf course, but it is still beautiful, with trees and ponds and wildlife.  Even though it had been snowing earlier, the clouds parted, the sun came out, and it wasn't too cold.  The trail was freshly groomed, there was hardly anyone else there, and Linda and I felt like we had the whole area to ourselves as we skied a four mile loop.  I'm not sure how it could have been nicer.  It was absolutely glorious. 

Linda bought some little mice dolls a while back, and she has been taking them on all her outings, then posing them doing the same thing.  She brought them along and we set them to ski.  Mid ski, we took off our skis, fabricated reed skis for the mice, posed them, then Linda took some great pictures.  I laughed at her getting down on her belly to get a good shot, but it was fun to have them participate. 

We went to lunch after our exercise and just had a marvelous morning talking and embracing the winter.  If it's going to snow, I figure I might as well enjoy it.  Downhill skiing is not for me, but Nordic skiing certainly is.  I hope to get out a couple more times before the season ends.





 In the park lodge, there is a large plaque with the following quote I just love.  It says,
Come all and find peace and rest in the arms of the mighty Wasatch range.  Listen to the song of the pines and the lullaby of the streams.  The everlasting beauty of God's great out of doors belongs to you.
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment