Sunday, January 24, 2016

Brandt Speaks in Primary

Last night I got a text from the Primary secretary.  She wanted to let me know that Brandt was supposed to give a talk in Primary today, but she hadn't remember to tell him last Sunday, so if we didn't want to have him do it, it was fine.  I told her I thought we could put something together, and that it was probably for the best that we didn't know beforehand because Brandt gets nervous and he would have worried about it all week.

This morning I sprung it on him, that he'd been asked to give a talk in Primary.  His immediate response was "No!"  I encouraged him a bit and told him that we really shouldn't say no when we are asked to do something, especially not at church.  The theme for the week is "I can know the scriptures are true."  I asked how he could know the scriptures are true, and Blythe raised her hand and said, "Oh! Oh! Oh!" desperately wanting me to call on her.  So I did.  She answered my question and a couple others and pretty much wrote Brandt's talk for him.  With all the great material presented to him, and his talk essentially finished, he agreed to read it.

When the time came, Brandt got up and gave his talk.  He didn't look entirely comfortable, and he didn't really enunciate, but he read well and he did it!  Kent and I were both very pleased.  Here is his talk:
We have been promised by our Heavenly Father that we can know the scriptures are true.  I can know the scriptures are true by reading them every day.  Our family reads the Book of Mormon in the morning before we go to school.  My mom says she wants us to read the scriptures because they give us power and "keep us safe from sin," like it says in the song. 
I don't always understand everything we read, but I do like the stories.  I especially like the story of Nephi cutting off Laban's head.  Nephi did what he was commanded to do, and I can too.  I was baptized, just like Jesus, I say my prayers, and I read the scriptures.  I believe the promise of Heavenly Father that I can know the scriptures are true.  In the name of Jesus Christ, amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment