Friday, March 6, 2015

Fairy Tea

Every year the Provo City Library hosts a fairy tea party, complete with fairy king, ballet entertainment, and cookies.  Several weeks ago, on the morning that tickets went on sale at 9:00am, I took myself down to the library to get some, thinking how fun it would be to go with all the girls in the family--Tysen, Ava, Lyla, Sharae, Makenna, Mikayla, and my mom, as well as me and Blythe, of course.

I discovered that the fairy tea is immensely popular and that people had begun queuing at 7:00 that morning, sitting outside in the cold on folding chairs for an hour before the doors opened at 8:00am.  And though tickets didn't go on sale until 9:00am, they continued to wait.  When I got there, the line would from the second floor down to the first, and all around the hallways.  I wasn't sure I would get tickets, and regretted telling Blythe where I was going in the event I didn't get tickets.  Boy, would I have heard about that!

This is the line, after I'd already been standing in it for half an hour.
The line from the top of the stairs is as long as the part coming down the stairs.

Fortunately, even though there were only six or eight people behind me, I got tickets at the time we wanted, and a whole table so we all could sit together.  Phew!  And I only waited an hour verses the two plus some others waited.  Craziness.

Tonight was our fairy tea.  Blythe and I both wore wings and dressed up a bit, but it wasn't over the top.  Blythe didn't insist on any makeup (I didn't offer), and while we did have to go through a number of dress ups before we found one that she felt matched her wings, she was very happy in the end.  We met Tysen, Ava, and Lyla, and Sharae and Makenna at Zupa's for dinner, then went on to the tea.  We were greeted by a number of fairies who directed us to our table (Tulip Table), and then leapt up to take lots of pictures.

When things got started, there was a procession with lots of fairies accompanying the Fairy King who took his place on this throne.  We had the ballet performance, we learned how to behave properly when having tea with the King, and then while we ate, had a procession where all the visiting fairies got to walk across a stage, take a twirl and curtsy before the King, and then be presented with a fairy coin they could exchange for a book.  It was all wonderful fun, the girls loved it, and I was pleased Blythe got to go home with a book.  There wasn't really any tea, just water, and the cookies weren't spectacular, but it wasn't about the food, it was about the spectacle, all of which was great. I may, or may not, queue for tickets next year.  However, given that part-way through Blythe turned to me and said, "Mom, I think this is the best thing in the world," I probably will.

As I side note here, I had to send my camera off to be repaired, so none of these pictures look good.  
Drat!



Fancy decorations in the ballroom.



 

"Tea" 
That's putting a spin on it


I'm torn at this point between keeping this post light and fun, just like a fairy, or real, like life.  There was a separate area where the BYU bookstore was selling books and other fairy related merchandise.  There was a fairy catching kit for $6 that Blythe desperately wanted and which I told her she couldn't have.  There were four little bottles of glitter which I knew would get all over the house, and I didn't want to pay $6 for "mess in a bottle."  Blythe was mad about this and whined and complained the whole way home.  As soon as we walked in the door she pulled Kent aside into her bedroom and complained to him about how mean I was and how I never get her anything she wants and what a rotten mom I am.  This just after I'd taken her to dinner and to the fairy tea.  I was mad, she was mad; the evening didn't end well.  Do I include this whole last paragraph or do I delete it and let it all end happily with a picture of Blythe and the Sugar Plum Fairy?

I think I'll keep it real.


No comments:

Post a Comment