Friday, March 6, 2015

Dr. Seuss Day

Monday was Dr. Seuss' birthday, and this week, there have been lots of fun Seussian activities happening at school.  Today was Dr. Seuss day in Blythe's class, and everyone was supposed to come dressed like a character from a Dr. Seuss story.  I had several suggestions for Blythe, but she said she wanted to be Thing 1 and Thing 2 with Kassi who sits next to her in class.  Bryan and Missy had Thing wigs from Halloween, Blythe has a red shirt, and I figured if Kassi was willing, it would be easy.  Kassi was willing, and it was easy.  Yeah!

I went to school with everyone today so I could get a picture of Blythe and Kassi together, as well as taking in the snack bag.  Blythe brought the snack bag home yesterday, and I felt some pressure to make a Dr. Seuss themed snack, which was totally unnecessary, but which I thought would be fun.  I know, I know!  It was overkill.  But I found an easy Dr. Seuss snack mix with a cute poem (on Pinterest), so I put that together after the kids went to bed last night.  Kent helped.  I discovered upon arrival at school that there was more than one Thing 1, so I took a picture of Blythe and Kassi, then all the Things, and then a picture with Lauren who came dressed as the Cat in the Hat.  How appropriate!  Blythe reported that the whole day was super fun and the Seuss snack was great.


Miss Medaris, Kassi, Blythe, Lexi

Blythe really wanted to be Thing 1, but when I asked Kassi, she said she wanted to be Thing 1,
and Blythe graciously agreed to be Thing 2.
Turns out that two more Thing 1s came into class after I'd taken this picture,
so Blythe ended up being very pleased she was the only Thing 2.

Kassi, Lauren, Blythe

Here is the poem and the food items that went along with them for the Dr. Seuss snack mix.  I put about two cups of popcorn in a Ziploc baggie, then added the Teddy grahams, fish, jelly beans, animal cookies, and peppermints on the top.  One bag for each kid, with the same amount of stuff in each bag so everything would be fair.  And Miss Medaris told me Blythe read the poem with great confidence to the whole class. 

Letters make words and
words make Suess books,
Which ones you ask?
Well, let’s take a look!        (Alphabits cereal, which I didn't bother to include because Macey's didn't have any.)

Brown Bar-Ba-Loot Bears and              (Chocolate Teddy Grahams)
White truffula fruit                                    (Popcorn)
Make for some very yummy “Lorax” loot!

“One Fish, Two Fish” swim about,      (Swedish fish)
while “Horton’s Egg” tries to hatch out!     (Egg jelly beans)

“If I Ran a Zoo” I would have animals galore with a large      (Animal cookies)
“Cat in a Hat” and many, many more!              (Peppermint candies--white with red stripes)

Enjoy your treat and smile as you eat,
and be glad in this snack that I forgot the “Duck Feet”!

No comments:

Post a Comment