Saturday, October 9, 2010

Trees and Spirals

In the middle of nowhere, fairly close to the Salt Flats, is this artistic creation.  It is called Metaphor: The Tree of Utah, and is a work by Swedish artist Karl Momen.  It was constructed during the early 80s.  While I don't love it, I think the idea of environmental art in the middle of nowhere interesting.  Before Brandt, Kent and I took a really long drive north and west to see Spiral Jetty by Robert Smithson.  This work I do love!  The jetty had been underwater for years and years, but drought had lowered the lake and revealed the jetty again, rendered white by the salt.  We walked the whole thing, had a bit of lunch on the shore overlooking this work of art, then drove home.  Being an art historian and from Utah I felt it my duty to be able to say, "I've seen it!"  Now I can say the same about the tree of life thing.
Not me in the middle, but could have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment