Sunday, October 17, 2010

G Week Food (and F, too)

When providing Kent a tantalizing preview of our G week dinner, I was met with the none too encouraging comment, "You know, our kids are only four and two.  Do you think you might be overdoing it?"

Perhaps I am overdoing it.  I'm not sure Brandt notices that all the food we are eating at a given meal starts with the same letter, even when I point it out to him.  I know he doesn't really care about the food component of our little "preschool."  But I am feeling the need for a bit of intellectual stimulation, and coming up with a whole meal that meets the alphabetical requirement has been fun.  For me, at least.  And all in all, I think our alphabet dinners have been tasty.

After looking at the E dinner picture, I accepted that my food photography leaves something to be desired, so I decided I wouldn't take any more dinner pictures.  As a result, no F dinner picture from last week.  But by this week, I decided it didn't really matter what the picture looked like, it was more about the record of the effort, so I started up again.  Here is our G food meal.
Gnocchi with gorgonzola sauce.
Greens with garbanzo beans, gouda, Granny Smith apples, and green peppers.
Green beans; garlic bread; grapes.
We had grape juice to drink, and gelato for dessert.

I will admit to a bit of fudging this week.  I had hoped to find already prepared gnocchi that I could toss in a pot and cook.  When I was unsuccessful, I decided I would knuckle under and make my own.  Thing was, I didn't read the recipe in advance, and when I opened the cookbook at 5:23pm and read, "Bake potatoes for one hour," I realized gnocchi was not going to happen.  So, we had gnocchi shaped-ish pasta (shells) in place of the gnocchi.  I had thought we could go out and get gelato at a little place not far from home, but the children were something of a nightmare at dinner and I didn't have the energy by the end of the meal to load us all in the car and wrestle with them at an eating establishment.  We had strawberry ice cream instead which was perfectly acceptable to one and all.

We also ate other G foods this week: grapefruit, guacamole, grilled cheese sandwiches (twice), and graham crackers.  I also wanted to eat German chocolate cake, Ghirardelli chocolate, ginger snap cookies, and gummy bears, but I'm trying to watch what I eat.  

For F week (no picture), we fajitas, feta salad (greens with feta on top; not exciting, but fits the bill), and fruit. I really wanted to make fondue, but Kent convinced me the children would not eat a single bite.  Along those lines, for H week I am not making haggis.

1 comment:

  1. I just had to comment about the fondue. I have another reason to suggest for not making it for the kids. We did and they loved it, now we don't get any . . .

    ReplyDelete