Saturday, October 9, 2010

Fast! Fast! Fast!

In honor of F week (and because it happens to be this week) we went to the World's Finals Speed Week.  This is where really fast cars and motorcycles race along a seven mile track at the Bonneville Salt Flats in an attempt to set a world's record.  And they go really, really fast.  Really Fast!  It was so interesting.  The Salt Flats are amazing, the cars were super cool, and the speed was outrageous!  In spite of the very long drive, the children were good and fairly engaged.  We hung out at the start and watched the motorcycles and cars leave, then drove down to mile three to watch them race past.  There is something magnetic, something charged about the setting, the automobiles, and the people.  And something totally cool about watching (I know I've said it before, but it is true) really, really fast cars speed by.
I've lived in Utah practically my whole life, and I'd never been to the Salt Flats.  
It was high time to remedy that situation!

I was hoping for a shot to use as our Christmas card.
Thing is, my shirt looks funny and even though it was overcast, the salt is so bright we are all squinting.
Still.
The children spent close to five hours today in the car and were still pretty good.
That's a woman on that bike.  
She was trying to go 190mph+.
Scary!  Crazy!
I asked Kent if he would support me if I decided to start driving cars or motorcycles really fast.
"Not for a moment," was his reply.
 
Brandt is yelling, "Go!" and then covering his ears when someone actually did.
 
A couple of examples of cars we saw race.  The orange one is the Mormon Missle.
Blythe is telling Uncle Lee about what we are doing.
She said, "We at cars.  Go fast.  Really loud!"
Salt Flats under overcast sky.
8 October 2010
Lots of salt and lots of sky.
The flat thing breaking up the horizon is the Mormon Missle rocketing by.


Motor Heads watching the races.

I was enchanted by this stark white landscape under huge sky.
Unreal.
Blythe being not so obliging about posing for a photo.

The sun came out and the clothes came off.
Our little exhibitionists.

Brandt took this shot.  Not perfect, but at least I have a shot of Kent and me together.

No comments:

Post a Comment