Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Weed Whacker


There are moments in a woman's life when she must take the reins and steer her own course.  Yesterday I had one of those moments, and today, I took advantage of that effort.  I love to work in the yard and I like our outdoor space to be beautiful and look well cared for.  A couple of years ago, we hired the across the street neighbor to mow and trim the lawn, and I was always pleased with the way it looked afterwards.  As Brandt has grown, however, we have given him the job of mowing, along with Kent, but there has been no edging happening.  We have a gas powered edger, but it is hard to start, often won't, and if heavy.  I have a hard time using it, and Kent doesn't like to, so not much has happened along the edges of the yard.  Grass has grown tall and thick around the perimeter of the yard and garden, and while it has irritated me, Kent hasn't seemed concerned about it at all. 

Last year, in a repeated act of desperation, I scooted along the ground, edging the whole yard, front and back, with a hand tool.  It took forever!  I was ADAMANT that was not happening again this year.  Here's the thing, however.  Kent figures the weed whacker we've got is perfectly adequate, if only it will start, so there's no need for a new one.  He was not going to buy a new one.  But it wasn't going to start and I can't use it comfortably, so something had to be done.  That something was that I bought a new one.  It's battery powered, lightweight, and be used as both a weed whacker and as a grass edger.  Just what I needed!  Today I went out and edged the whole yard.  Well, not all.  The grass was so long in places it was like baling hay, so the battery died before I was able to get all the way around.  But I will charge it again and finish up tomorrow.  I was so pleased with the way it worked, it wasn't too heavy, and the yard looked so much better with that finished edge all over.  It made me just so happy.  Happy early Mother's Day to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment