Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Walking to School

Since Mikayla has her twins at the end of January, I have been getting Brick to school almost every day.  I go over to help Mikayla get the kids breakfast, get them dressed, and then, most of the time, Brick and I and often others will walk to school.  Kal and Cora like to join us, and I'm happy to take them, too.  Cora, with backpack on her back, almost always says she wants to go to school, too, and often she has to be cajoled away.  Kal likes to run ahead or lag behind, rarely actually staying with me.  We always stop to say hello to Blythe as we are headed home, and it gives me a chance to kiss her goodbye for the day if I have left early and haven't had the chance. 

This morning was a bit ridiculous.  Brick was ready when I arrived, shortly after 8:00am.  Kal and Cora were eating breakfast, but well before she finished, Cora disappeared.  Kal ate his pancakes and pears, then switched sides of the table and finished off most of Cora's breakfast.  I got his clothes and got him ready to go.  Cora had disappeared downstairs, and I figured she wasn't going to walk with us. 

At 8:32, Brick kissed Mikayla goodbye and I said, "Ok, we're off."

From somewhere far away, Cora said, "I want to come!"  Now school starts at 8:40, and while the Johnsens only live practically across the street, getting more than me and Brick there often takes a bit more time that you would think, or maybe as much as you might think.  But not wanting Cora to be unhappy and throw a bit fit, Mikayla and Grandma Sue quickly got her dressed and into her shoes and we were walking out the door about 8:34. 

Brick and Kal had gone out before me and Cora, and for some reason, this morning the dog followed me out.  Sometimes Kila will come to the door, but not all the time, and usually she just stands there looking out while whoever is walking files out.  But not today.  Today, she came right out and joined the party.  Kal had run across the street, away from the direction we were going, and was standing by the neighbors garage.  I went to get him as Brick and Cora rounded the fence out of sight and up the sidewalk.  The dog was following.  I called to Kila, then called Mikayla and told her to come get the dog.  She yelled from the house as I turned onto the sidewalk, but the dog was too far away and I yelled back she was too late. 

So there we were; Brick running up the sidewalk very fast, Cora close behind, Kila trying to herd them together, with me carrying Kal behind.  I put Kal down to walk, which made Kila turn around to come get him, but he stopped to have a faker cry and make me pick him back up.  I did.  I also told the dog to go home, which she ignored. 

Brick made it to the spot where we usually cross the street, and I yelled at him to stop and wait.  Cora did the same.  I had overtaken Kila, who wanted to follow, but kept looking back towards home, knowing that was where she should be heading.  I got to Brick and Cora, and, while still holding Kal, took Brick's and Cora's hands so we could cross safely.  I thought the dog would stay there, on the south side of the street, while we crossed to the school. 

Nope.  As soon as we started across, she started across too, barking at us to stop or stay together or not leave her or don't be foolish about going into the road or whatever was going through her little canine brain.  I realized, as she crossed, that I was going to have to carry not Kal, but Kila to school. 

I put Kal down.  He was happy I had schlepped him up the hill and ran giddily into the building following closely behind Brick and Cora, who pushed the handicapped door opener so we could all get in easily.  I picked up the dog and carried her into school.  While I don't think she weighs quite as much as Kal, she's not light, she's furry and squirmy, and she draws lots of attention.  Kids were so excited I was bringing her in!  They wanted to pet her.  They asked why I had her.  More than one or two said, "Awwwww! A dog!"  I just rolled my eyes.

Kal was enough energy to get into the building, but then he just stood in the foyer while Brick and Cora ran down the hallway towards Brick's class.  I couldn't put the dog down to pick up Kal, so I took his hand and encouraged him to walk with me.  Instead, he went boneless and started in on the faker crying again.  I moved him out of the flow of traffic, told him to sit there on the floor and wait for me, and followed Brick and Cora.  Brick allowed me to give him a hug and kiss goodbye, Cora too, and then went into class.  I took Cora's hand to make a quick u-turn and get back to Kal, and she started in with the, "I want to go to school," whine.  Today, I was not as tender and understanding as I often am.  With a curt, "You have to be five," I began hauling her back towards the front of the school, fearing Kal might have escaped out the front door while we were down the hall.

Fortunately, he was coming towards the three of us as we were headed back to him, and I was able to get my three small charges out the door and headed for home.  We did not try to make it down the opposite hallway to see Blythe this morning, although the four of us would certainly have created a stir with her and her classmates.

Once I was able to get Cora, Kal, Kila, and myself safely across the street, I put the dog down and let her herd Cora and Kal home.  We went around through the complex, not straight down the street.  Cora ran ahead, closely followed by the dog, and Kal coming along behind. 

At the top of the hill going down towards their house, Kal came to a sudden stop, looked at me a few steps ahead of him, and began faker crying again.  He put his hands to his eyes and began to wail, peeking out to make sure I was watching and his little performance was having the desired effect.  I said, "That's some ridiculous faker crying.  I think I'll do the same."  I faker cried, but he didn't budge.  I had to pick him up again and carry him halfway down the hill before he was willing to walk again. 

Kal, Kila, and I walked in together, and I was certain Cora had gone in before us.  Mikayla and Grandma Sue were laughing as I came in, knowing that it must have been a ridiculous walk to school.  As soon as she saw me, she said, "Where's Cora?"

"Didn't she come in before us?" I asked.

Nope.  Because I'd been held up by Kal's show, I had seen her round the corner, and assumed she had gone inside.  She did go inside, but not the house.  She was in Grandma Sue's car, playing with the controls. 

It was a walk to school I won't quickly forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment