Friday, May 24, 2019

Last Day of School

And just like that, school is over for the year.  It was a full year, a time for change and growth.  Both Brandt and Blythe enjoyed their experiences, but they are happy to have summer here. 

Blythe absolutely loved Mrs. Duncan as her teacher.  She was the best.  Quite frankly, if Blythe could choose her own mother, Mrs. Duncan would be her choice.  Blythe loved everything about her, and has told me on more than one occasion that she wishes she could be in Mrs. Duncan's class again next year.  Mrs. Duncan is teaching second grade next year, so it would a pretty drastic backslide.  Blythe doesn't care.  She just wants Mrs. Duncan. 

This picture was actually taken yesterday because Mrs. Duncan wasn't there today.
She had to go to a wedding, but we wanted a picture of Blythe's favorite teacher, so yesterday was it.
Her favorite things about fifth grade were:  "I had the best teacher," Blythe says.
"I liked what we did in school.  We had our own class jokes which made it funny.
Mrs. Duncan would get off task which was always fun, 
and we had lots of free time when we finished our assignments."
Earlier in the year, I had asked Mrs. Duncan about Blythe's work and how she was doing. 
She replied, "She has been doing wonderful in my homeroom class and gets all of her assignments done and on time as well as her homework. 
She's organized, she's on task, she's fabulous. 
Her personality and energy make class so fun. I love her to pieces."
Apparently, they joined a mutual appreciation society.

Sad face picture of the actual last day of school.
Too bad; so sad.


Brandt survived his first year of middle school, and he did it with flying colors.  He would have done better grade wise if he hadn't gotten sick in both March and the beginning of May, but that can't be helped, and he did well.  He was able to handle multiple classes and different teachers, and met new friends from other schools. 

Brandt's favorite things about seventh grade: "All of it," Brandt says.
When I probed for more specificity, he said, "I liked my teachers. I liked the classes I took."  
And that's all I could get out of him.  
Hoorah for school!
and Hoorah for summer!

To celebrate the end of school, Brandt was able to go to Lagoon with the whole school, and Blythe went swimming at the Orem rec center.  Brandt hung around with David Harrison and only went on about four rides.  Nothing super scary for him.  I worried it would rain and blow on them the whole day and had sent him with layers of warm clothing.  They had almost no rain or wind until about the last half hour, and he was plenty warm.  Blythe's swimming was super fun because of the girls she hung around with.  I have no pictures from either event as I wasn't there and neither of the children have a phone/camera.  But they went and were happy to celebrate the end of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment