Sunday, April 21, 2019

Easter

This year, I wanted our Easter to be more focused on the Savior and celebrating his atonement, death, and resurrection.  In the week before Easter, I wanted to read the scriptures that coincided with each day from the triumphal entry through Christ's last teachings to his disciples, his time in the Garden of Gethsemane, his death, and then his joyous resurrection.  It didn't happen quite like I had hoped, but we did read together several days, and we certainly didn't make it only about Easter candy.  Next year, I'm going to start earlier and try to find some more Christ focused activities that will engage the children.

I also wanted to be more vocal in sharing my testimony of Jesus Christ on a social media platform, so I posted the following on both Instagram and Facebook.  I'm wanting to be a voice for Christ and his gospel in a world that is becoming increasingly more secular.

I know that my Redeemer lives. What comfort this sweet sentence gives! He lives, he lives who once was dead. He lives to plead for me above. He lives to bless in time of need. He lives to silence all my fears. He lives to calm my troubled heart. He lives, my kind, wise heav'nly Friend. He lives and loves me to the end. He lives, and I shall conquer death. He lives! All glory to his name! He lives, my Savior, still the same. Oh, sweet the joy this sentence gives: "I know that my Redeemer lives!"


We had a lovely church meeting.  Our speakers were good and the choir sang a beautiful number that really brought the spirit.  I wish we sang more for our Easter meeting, much like we do at Christmas.  There are great Easter songs which we really only sing once a year, and I think we should sing more. 

We did gather with the DeMartinis for dinner and an egg hunt on Sunday afternoon.  I was assigned to bring rolls, but instead, I made braided bread that Heather Helquist had taught the Relief Society how to make at this month's meeting.  I really wanted it to work, and it did!  It was beautiful and delicious and I was delighted with how it turned out.  Not only did I make fantastic bread, I also made pomegranate gelato and roasted asparagus.  I told all the other food preparers that I hoped their contributions measured up to mine because it was all delish!

The egg hunt was exciting and filled the candy quota without a hitch.  Mom had hoped we could share feelings about Christ to add a spiritual dimension to our gathering, and that sort of happened, but only with the adults.  When we are all together, it's hard to corral the children to sit still and participate in a calmer activity.  The adults, however, talked and shared.  It was all a lovely day.

Bread prep and final product.
Beautiful AND delicious! 

At 3:00pm, the heavens opened and poured rain.
Poured!
I wondered if we would be able to do an egg hunt.
But as is normal in Utah, the weather changed quickly and was fine when we got to the egg hunt.

Brandt had neither basket nor bag for his eggs.
He just put them in his hoodie pocket.



Me, in my Easter bonnet, with Thea who quiet enjoyed being outside.



The grandchildren, less Bryan's kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment