Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Tidying Up

Post Christmas, I always feel an itching to clean up and throw out stuff.  Just stuff.  We are inundated with stuff.  Getting new stuff that needs a place to live makes me want to throw out old stuff that no longer serves a purpose or is just taking up space.

Today, I tackled the laundry room.  It has been full of stuff I don't want, that needs to go to DI, that has been clogging up flow and ease of washing clothes, and I was sick of it.  Every time I walked into the laundry room, I wanted to scream.  So I began by removing everything that didn't belong in the room and sorted it.  Quite a bit was destined for DI and I filled several bags of clothes and toys that needed a new home.  I cleaned off the top of the washer and dryer, sorted through stuff in laundry baskets, and removed trash.  I cleaned off the shelves, and then cleaned between the washer and dryer and behind the dryer.  I had Blythe help with that part.  She is small and thin and could get between the machines easier than either Kent or I.  She kept saying, "Ewwww!" but persevered until the job was done.

I am determined to have the laundry room finished before the end of January.  Kent poured a concrete floor before we moved in, but it didn't work.  Earlier this year, I whacked the whole thing up, leaving the bare sub-floor plywood.  I want to put fun tile on the floor, maybe repaint, and hang different hooks and things.  I'm tired of looking at unfinished projects and saying, "One of these days I'm going to get to that."  Now is the time for the laundry room!

After clearing out and vacuuming everything, I was thrilled with the way the whole room looked and felt.  It was like a weight lifted to get it cleaned up, and I'm excited to see further transformation.


Says Blythe, "This is not how I want to spend the rest of my day."

No comments:

Post a Comment