Saturday, December 17, 2016

Visiting Teaching


These are my visiting teachers, Christine Baird and Andrea Blad.  They are faithful in coming to see me each month.  They are good friends with whom I've done many fun things over the years.  With Chris I have gone to dinner and long weekends, visited Thanksgiving Point Gardens, had yard sales with, and twice at Christmas performed a piano duet at church.  Andrea is now the secretary in my presidency, so we counsel together, bike together, and frequently eat out together.  I value both of them so much and am grateful to have them in my life.  We always laugh together and I know they love me and are genuinely interested in me as a person.  They stopped today to drop off a Christmas treat and I wasn't home, so they texted me their smiling faces and a short but sweet note.  I think visiting teaching is fantastic.  I would say that even if I wasn't the Relief Society President.

As a side note, I'm blogging about this at the beginning of March (I'm so behind now that I have a big church responsibility), and seeing this picture makes me sad.  At the beginning of January, Christine was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  She underwent a lengthy surgery to remove a tumor and will begin chemotherapy and radiation soon.  She asked to be released as a visiting teacher in January, so she won't be coming to see me every month now.  I hope I can be a good friend to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment