Friday, December 4, 2015

Ward Christmas Party

This evening was our ward Christmas party.  The theme was "An Old-Fashioned Christmas."  They had different activities in different rooms: line dancing, make a Christmas ornament, hear a story, and a live nativity.  Upon arrival at the church, Brandt met up with Jarom and Sam Oyler, and disappeared.  I hardly saw him the rest of the evening apart from dinner.  I made sure the rest of us sat down next to them.  The kids were able to make their own ornaments with salt and felt symbols of Christmas (a tree, a gift, a star, a candy cane).  Our dear friend Gregg Pugmire was sharing very funny Christmas stories, including one about a boy who didn't believe in Santa who in turn didn't believe in him.  

The highlight of the evening for me was the live nativity.  My dear friend Janie Rasmussen, her husband Ty, and their new baby Noah were asked to represent the holy family.  A sort of cave had been constructed in the Relief Society room, the lights were turned down low, and there was a spotlight on the Rasmussens.  There was soft music playing and those of us who came into the room were able to enjoy a sweet spirit.  When I first went in, I was overwhelmed by the Spirit.  But then I got a text and stepped out in the hallway to respond.  I went to pick up Izaiah Wilson to come to the party, and was gone for probably about 15 minutes.  When I returned, the room was empty except for Janie, Ty, and Noah.  It was quiet and still, and I burst into tears seeing them there.  Janie was 37 when she and Ty married (he was 44), and they had great difficulty getting Noah here.  They looked so beautiful together, a family who had overcome much to get where they were, and I know how happy they are to have Noah as a part of their family now.  I was flooded with love for them and for the family they represented.  I tried to regain control of my emotions, but being there and seeing them was more than I could take.  I stepped out into the hall still crying, and was met by two friends who both gasped and said, "Are you okay?!"  Yes, yes.  More than okay.


We had a lovely meal and a nice program.  The Primary children sang.  I have pilfered pictures from a friend because my camera takes horrible pictures inside in the dark.  The bishop gave a thoughtful message about Christmas and we had a closing prayer.  Brandt had been running around, but just before the prayer started, he came into the gym and stood behind who he thought was Kent but who was really Gregg Pugmire.  During the prayer he was running his fingers through Gregg's hair, rubbing his back, and putting his head on Gregg's.  When the prayer was over, Gregg turned to Brandt and said, "Thanks, Brandt."  With a very embarrassed look on his face, Brandt darted off, saying nothing in reply.  He's a very loving child.  It was a marvelous evening, good to be with our neighbors and kick off the Christmas celebrations.

Blythe is third in from the left on the front row.  
Brandt is on the back row, close to the middle, in a blue shirt and a hat.
It looks like he's scratching his nose.

This up close picture of Blythe is courtesy of Hadley who is standing next to her in green.
Hadley's mom Briahna took the pictures I stole.

No comments:

Post a Comment