Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Class Christmas Parties

Today were the kids class Christmas parties.  At meet your teacher night back in August, I asked the kids what party they wanted me to help with.  Blythe said Christmas, and so I signed up, even signing up to be in charge.  When I went to sign up for Brandt's class, there was the option to sign up to help for the first half of the year or second half of the year.  All the first half of the year slots were full, so I signed up to help with parties in the second half of the year.  Or so I thought.  

Two weeks ago, however, Brandt called me from school and said, "Mom, you're in charge of our class Christmas party.  Can you do it on December 17th?"  Surprise!  Fortunately, I have very little on my schedule each week that is set in stone, I am happy to help, and I didn't want to disappoint, so I said, "Great! Yes! I'll be in charge and the 17th is great!"  

I hadn't heard from Blythe's teacher, so I texted her and asked if I had remembered correctly about being in charge of their class party, and I was.  So, two class parties I had to oversee.  I worked it out that the parties were on the same day, a Wednesday, which is the day I go to the school to volunteer anyway, so I essentially spent all day at school helping out.  Initially I went to the library, then to Blythe's class to help with centers, then to Brandt's class for math, then a short break where I ran home for lunch, then back to school for parties.  

Both parties were organized the same way.  There were multiple stations the kids rotated through, with activities at each station.  In Brandt's class, I was responsible for the treat.  I brought sugar cookies for the kids to decorate, either Christmas trees or snowmen.  I had lots of frosting and lots of sprinkles, and there was lots of messiness.  The kids tried to outdo each other to see who could have the most decoration, and I was amazed some of the kids could even stomach eating their creations there was so much stuff piled on them.  I thought I had brought plenty of stuff to adorn with, but ran out of some things.  I have thought Brandt was kind of a goofy kid.  He will say the most ridiculous things that make me roll my eyes and wonder if he's all there, but I discovered it is totally age appropriate.  All the kids in his class were kid of goofy, saying the same sorts of ridiculous things he says.  It gave me great comfort and made me laugh to myself about how funny children can be.  Another mom brought a game, and two moms had crafts for the kids.  All in all, a great party. 

Blythe's party was fairly similar.  One mom brought sugar cookies (I should have done them for Blythe's class as I was already getting stuff), one brought a craft, another brought a game, and I read our current favorite Christmas story, The Santa Trap.  Rotation again, silly kids again, over sprinkled cookies.  Corene Jensen brought a game for the kids to do as a class.  They lined up in two teams and did a relay.  Each person had to grad a gift from a bag, unwrap it, and then run back to the line before the next person could go.  As I was not involved in any way in overseeing anything, I did manage to take one picture.  All in all, another great party.  And I was happy to get both done in the same day, and to have my party responsibilities finished for the year.  


No comments:

Post a Comment