Monday, July 13, 2015

The Backyard--Before and After

We've been working so hard in the backyard.  We've bought lots of plants, I've dug some up from Christopher's yard (see backstory here), Kent has been working on sprinkler adjustment.  It's been a weeks and weeks long project, but things are finally fairly finished.  We do have to have a small portion of the patio we had installed last year relaid because of a water main rupture underneath it that caused some sinking (part of the sprinkler repairing Kent's been doing), and we need a few more plants for an area that was exposed when we cut back some branches of a large bush, and we need to work on greening up several spots of grass, but otherwise, I think the backyard is done.  Planted and pruned.

I must say, I'm super delighted with the way it has turned out.  I think things look really good.  Well, some of the plants look dry and I'm worried for their long-term survival, but as far as how the whole thing has come together, I'm very pleased.  I want everything to be bigger than it is because there seem to be an awful lot of bare spots all over, but it will grow.  Plants do that.  We put in trees to create some privacy between us and the Lindbergs behind us.  We got three of Christopher and Tysen's large boxwood that have made the transplanting.  We've got plants and flowers, and most everything is perennial and will come back next year.  Fingers crossed.  And we've been enjoying evenings out in the back.  We would like to plan a couple of fruit trees and perhaps some grapes along the south fence, but for the moment, I think we've done very, very well.  And now I'm going outside to sing to the shrubbery so it will grow.

One of three new beds we had created when we put in curbing.
At the end is the first boxwood I dug up from Christopher's before I stabbed myself in the hand.

50 plants to put in the yard, mostly in the back.
These in addition to several more transplants, trees not pictured, and several large bushes in pots but already placed in the yard.

 
This is Kent doing sprinkler work by flashlight.
He was out around 10:00 trying to finish up a section so we could turn on the water.

Planted beds.



No comments:

Post a Comment