Monday, July 20, 2015

Canoeing at Tibble Fork

I think I have a post with the same title every year since I started blogging.  Canoeing is one of my favorite summer activities, and I make sure we put it on the schedule every year.  Turns out, it's a lot of other people's favorite summer activity too, so we always have plenty of company when we go.

This year was no different.  Eugene and Sharae and Co., Christopher and Tysen and Co., Rick and Lacey and Co., and McKenzie Drake and Co, all joined us.  Normally Mikayla would come too, but she has a new baby, and canoeing and new babies don't mix very well.  I was somewhat anxious as I went to pick up canoes this morning because it was very overcast and looked like it was threatening rain.  As it hardly ever rains in July, I told myself it was not going to be a problem.  Then I said a little prayer.

For the first time ever, as we came into the mouth of American Fork Canyon, we saw mountain goats, about fifty yards past the "watch out for mountain goats" sign.  There was one standing on the right side of the road munching on something, and three others on the left side of the road.  So exciting!  Less exciting was the rain that began to fall as we pulled up and began unloading canoes.  It wasn't raining heavily, but very steadily.

The kids didn't seem to mind the rain at all, and paddled off onto the lake.  I said another little prayer, asking Heavenly Father to temper the elements so that we could be on the lake safely and enjoy our time there.  I told him how much I enjoyed canoeing and that this was the day we could do it, and could he please let that happen.  We parked the truck and I began unloading as the DeMartinis and Leishmans arrived.  Christopher stood in the parking lot overlooking the lake and said, "Are we really going to do this?"

"Yes!" I replied.  "We've hauled canoes up here, so we have to get $25 worth of canoeing done per canoe (the rental cost) and eat lunch before we can go home.  That's the deal.  Plus, I've said a prayer and I have faith."

So we unloaded.  And the rain stopped.  It didn't clear up or really warm up, we had cloud cover and about 75 degree temperatures, but it was absolutely nice enough to enjoy our time at the lake.  It wasn't too hot, which was a change from years past, and we were able to stay for hours.  We got the full use of the canoes, we ate lunch, and we stayed on the lake most of the time.  The kids went out without adults and paddled around, and we got to see the Fish and Game Department stocking the lake with 1,000 fish that shot of a fish cannon.  The overcast weather also meant that there was practically no one else on the lake the whole time we were there.  As I was paddling around, I said another little prayer, thanking Heavenly Father for making it possible for us to stay and enjoy our day.  It really was super wonderful!

 


Brandt was being a DJ as we listened to music on the way up the canyon.


Collin really likes me.
The feeling is mutual.
He wanted to go out in a canoe with me and only me.
He helped me oar and sang.
  
 

 
 

 











 

 
 

 

 


 



Blythe had a Primary party today that her class had earned through good behavior.
She was devastated to miss it and tried to convince us to bring her home early.
I told her I hoped she would choose to have a great time canoeing, even though it meant missing the party.
I think she did.

I took this picture from shore just to show how far out she (and Brandt, too) got on these little kayak things.






 

 

Blythe did eventually smile.



No comments:

Post a Comment