Friday, October 3, 2014

Mission Reunion

Tonight I had a mission reunion.  It was the 20th year since President and Sister Cobb had finished, although it has been 21 years since I finished.  Kent accompanied me which was awfully swell of him, and I was glad he came because there weren't very many people there and I was glad to have a date.  It was wonderful to see the Cobbs.  I really like President Cobb, and I was delighted to be able to reconnect with him and hear his/their news.  They are good people.  I also visited with a few other missionaries I knew, though not very many.  There weren't at many there total, and even fewer I knew.  I left before the picture below was taken, but as I didn't take any, I wanted to include this one here.  Of those pictured, I know the Cobbs, Eric Forsberg in the back row, second from left, and Kristy Kewish Wihongi who was my companion in Yverdon (kneeling next to President Cobb).  I did speak to Elder Pages and his wife who was there when I was and who shared companions with me, but with whom I never served, and Nelson Swett, also not pictured.

Funny story about Elder Swett.  He and I both finished in Clermont-Ferrand, and when I introduced him to Kent, I said, "This is Elder Swett.  He was not counting down the days until the end of his mission, but how many days until he got married, which was within a month of him getting home."  We both turned to the woman he was with, assuming she was woman he rushed home to marry, only to discover she wasn't.  Nope, he has been divorced and the woman with him was not his wife.  Oops!  He, however, also put his foot in it when he talked to me about "when [I] was with Kartchner," (an elder).  I reminded him that I didn't ever actually serve with Elder Kartchner, that was him.

For the time to visit with Kristy and the Cobbs, it was totally worth the drive.  The building we were meeting in was fantastic too, and it was fun to give ourselves a small tour.  I would have loved to see other missionaries I know are close and could have possibly come, but perhaps we'll do it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment