Tuesday, November 23, 2010

K Crafts

I pulled out a number of books this week whose titles begin with a K word, or have something to do with K words.  Several of them were about kissing.  One I pulled out to read to Blythe, Alice the Fairy, has an illustration of a crown that Alice made for her father.  I decided that we should make king's crowns for our K week craft.

A day or so later I read Kiss Me, I'm Perfect about a girl who gets a goofy t-shirt from her grandmother that says, "Kiss me.  I'm perfect."  She gets kissed by a cat, a dog, an eagle, a moose, and a bear.  She thinks that is great!  Knowing that it probably wouldn't take long to make crowns, I asked Brandt if he wanted his own, "Kiss me, I'm perfect" t-shirt, and he said yes, although he doesn't want a lot of kisses.

So we did two crafts this week.  Crowns were super easy.  I cut out a crown shape from gold poster paper (what a find!) and had the children affix sticky backed gems.  They were able to do it themselves, arranging the gems were they wanted them, and all I had to do was measure around their heads and tape them together.
 
 
 Blythe and Brandt in their bejeweled "King's crowns."

The shirts were a bit trickier.  I had to peel the letters off sheets, then iron them onto the t-shirts.  The children wanted to help pull off (which is harder than it sounds because you can't let them rip), and they wanted to help iron (an effort which was fraught with peril).  When letters were ironed on, I then let the children draw on them with fabric markers.  I do realize the danger in letting my children do something on one t-shirt I would never want done on another, but what can you do?  They may very likely ruin a shirt or two before the end.  Blythe would not put her shirt on, so here is Brandt in his.  

No comments:

Post a Comment