Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Conversation

I am decorating today (pictures to come!).  I have Christmas decor all over the place, and the children are finding it irresistible.  Most tempting seems to be three year old candy canes I have been using strictly as decoration, but which they keep eating.  I have asked and asked them to leave them alone, without feeling that anyone is paying any attention.

So I asked, "Do you two ever listen to me, or am I just talking to myself most of the time?"

Without missing a beat, Brandt replied, "You are just talking to yourself."
Blythe concurred with a, "Talking to self."

At least I got an honest answer.

2 comments:

  1. Your posts make me laugh. So true! One important lesson Grandma Barrus (Merlynn) taught me early on--it's a lot easier to put things up out of the way of curious fingers than it is to try to keep things away from them--especially when they're little. Saves a lot of power struggles. I mean, I thought you should teach them to leave stuff alone, but it sure saved me a lot of grief when I just didn't allow stuff to be a temptation to them... (I mean, who can resist 3 year old candy canes???)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are certainly right. This is a lesson I need to learn. It would be expecting a miracle to have the children stay out of such tempting stuff, and why waste a miracle on three year old candy canes?

    ReplyDelete