Thursday, November 28, 2019

A Day of Thanks

I got a call from the bishop at 7:30am.  He said, "The condos are on fire.  It looks bad."

"I'll be right there," I replied.  I was still in my pajamas, but raced upstairs, threw on clothes, and began to mobilize my troops.  Everyone threw on clothes.  I sent Blythe downstairs to get wool blankets out of the emergency situation section of the storage.  I got a hat and gloves, put on my boots and coat, and raced out of the house, praying as I went for the safety of everyone who lives in the condos.  

Our ward boundaries are small.  We have a street of large, glorified twin homes (as a resident calls them), our street that zigzags a bit, has five cul-de-sacs coming off of it, and the condos, an apartment building with 48 units.  Not all of the residents come to our ward, but residents of 16 apartments are under our stewardship, and several of them are aged widows who don't move quickly.  I feared for their safety.  

The fire was on the third floor, and when I arrived, the bishop called and told me everyone got out of the building safely.  The fire department had to bash in many doors to access people.  One of our widows, Lila Merrill, was sound asleep in her bed.  One member was on the toilet when the fireman burst in.  He said, "You have to go right now!" We've joked that our member could have replied, "I am going right now."  They didn't even let him get a real pair of pants.  He and others went out in their pajamas.  One of our students escaped in her robe and pajamas; she didn't even have any shoes.  

The emergency response team set up their command center and evacuee site at a church across from the football stadium, and we rushed there to meet people and make sure everyone was okay.  Some members had gathered at our church, and we ferried them to the other church.  We mobilized people and made hot chocolate, got water bottles, had blankets, and tried to comfort and help people deal with the shock.  It was snowing outside making the whole process of fighting the fire and evacuating residents and then trying to retrieve things from apartments later a cold, wet mess.  Everyone was stunned by the whole thing, and trying to deal with being displaced and unsure about the future.  We waited anxiously for the fire chief to give us a status report and let us know the condition of the building.

When the fire was finally out, the fire chief gathered all the residents and the rest of us acting as support and told us about the damage.  Six apartments on the third floor were a total loss.  The apartments below them were heavily damaged by water.  Residents would be allowed in to retrieve medications and small things that were absolutely necessary, nothing more.  Those in apartments undamaged by the fire could retrieve what they needed for the day, but parts of the building were unsafe, and we needed to stay out.  We began ferrying people back to the building to gather a few belongings, and then we tried to disperse people to family and friends. 

I was overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and concern, the desire people had to serve and help whether or not they knew anyone in the building.  My phone exploded with texts and calls from people saying, "What can I do to help? Can we add someone to our Thanksgiving dinner? Who needs a place to stay tonight or over the next several nights? I have food! I have blankets! I have clothes!"  It was tremendous and touching and heartwarming and so emotionally uplifting.  There is good in the world, all around us. 

I was also touched to see the power of ministering.  Several women who live in the condos have been very reluctant to let many people into their lives.  I have met one of them only once, and the other, I had a very brief, cold interaction with at her door.  She yelled at me and slammed the door in my face, telling me she didn't want anything to do with me.  Both of these women, however, have had wonderful ministering sisters who love them and are their friends.  Wendy Bird and Jennifer McClurg came to the church and swept Robyn Baughman and Irena Abramian (both inactive) into the warm embrace of their love and support.  While I could not provide either of these sisters with the emotional comfort they needed because I was not their person, Wendy and Jennifer could and did.  Irena was convinced she was going to be without anyplace to stay tonight or in the future, and was all at sea.  Jennifer calmed her, took her home, installed her in the small apartment they have attached to their house, and made sure she was cared for.  Wendy calmed Robyn, helped her retrieve medication and belongings, and got her back on the road to her daughter's house.  In the time of crisis, these sweet ministering sisters were exactly the people who were needed, and fulfilled their callings in tender, loving ways.  It was beautiful to witness.






Ryan Elder (our bishop) helping residents

The aftermath from above.

Kent and I were meant to be hosting Thanksgiving dinner today at our house.  My mother, Mikayla and Guy and their children, Lee, Cammie, and Aaron, and Richard Ledford and Chris Cisneros were all coming to eat by 2:00.  I had made pies yesterday, but we were in charge of stuffing, a vegetable, and green salad.  I intended on setting the table beautifully, preparing cranberry sauce, and being with family for a lovely day.

Instead, I left everything to Kent, Mikayla, and Sue.  Sue stopped by the church to see what she could do and offered her basement to anyone who needed a place to stay.  She collected stuffing fixings from our fridge and took that responsibility.  I dashed home about 1:00 and gave direction for table setting and salad preparation, and told everyone we would be without an extra vegetable.  Then I dashed out again.  

At 2:30, Mikayla texted and asked if I was close to coming home.  I told them to go ahead without me.  By that time, nearly everyone had a place to go and was largely taken care of.  The Red Cross had come and processed some people to give them help.  But I was still at the church with Stacey Smith, an inactive member who is exceedingly private and not super emotionally stable, even on a good day.  She lived on the third floor and had been in a tree, in the snow, watching and filming the fire.  Barbara and Jeff Niven had tried to get her out of the tree, but she doesn't really know them and didn't want anything to do with them.  The bishop and I went to find her and I was able to get her out of the snow and to the church.  She needed someone, and I was her person.  I got her some water, a blanket, and then took her back to the building when things could be retrieved.  While I wanted to bring her home and feed her and her two daughters, but they made other plans.  I stayed with Stacey until she was leaving the church, essentially the last person to get squared away.  

I walked in the door at 3:00pm.  Everyone was eating and I sat down at the table, thankful for all the goodness that surrounded me.  I was thankful for food and a warm, comfortable home, thankful for living among such good people who are truly Christlike.  I was thankful for my family and for living in a place where I can worship God freely.  And so thankful to know that in our trials and challenges and struggles, God is with us, most often through the service and love of others.  Dinner was delicious and I tried not to be a downer guest.  We talked and ate and I was overwhelmed by the goodness of my life.  This will be a Thanksgiving I never forget.



Desserts
Ridiculous how much there is!
Mint chocolate ice cream pie, jumbleberry pie, a chocolate raspberry whipped pie that was weird,
apple pie, chocolate chip cookies, pecan pie, and pumpkin pie.
Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment