Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Lawyer Leanings

This evening, as I was getting dinner and talking to Kent about staying up late on the parade route to help secure a place at the Davis' house as I do every year, Blythe and Brandt began asking if they could come with me.  I told them no, repeatedly because they (especially Blythe) kept asking, in a way that I felt brooked no real discussion.  It was a hard NO.  But they just kept going on and on.  Finally, I told them I was sick of saying no and sick of them and ordered them away from me.

They went.

But, they went to plot.  In fact, after a short time, Blythe came back to me with humble attitude and a "Plan."  She and Brandt had made a list of reasons why they felt they should be able to come with me to Center Street and stay up until 3:00am insuring no one would come camp out on our spot.  She used the "Plan" to calmly argue all her points, looking down at her notes to make sure she didn't miss anything.  Here's the list.  I will explain each item.


1. Freya and Thea were coming.  Mikayla joined me on Center Street and she talked about bringing the girls in case they woke up.  Brandt and Blythe felt that if Freya and Thea could come and they were only five months old, they should be allowed to come because they were so much older.

2. Brandt would take a melatonin so he'd go right to sleep when they got home.  He has been unwilling to take a melatonin, even when he can't seem to go to sleep, but he'd have one if they could go.

3. Brandt and Blythe could help with the babies.

4. They will be kind to each other and to me.

5. They would go to bed at 8:00 for the next three nights.  This was very going to happen because we are always up late on July 4th, and it's still too light outside at 8:00 for anyone to think of going to sleep.

6. At 11 and 13, they feel they are old enough.

7. Why??  (Self explanatory)

8. They vowed to do anything I asked them, whatever was needed . . . 

9. Including not be annoying for a whole week.  I should have considered this longer.

10. Now that they are older, Brandt and Blythe feel they should be allowed more privileges.  I'm not sure that 11 and 13 really make them old enough.

11. The promise to be REALLY good came with ideas of what they would do--they wouldn't bother me, they'd play tag, I wouldn't have to be responsible for them at all.  Yeah right.

12. They would do lots of chores for two days, without complaining.  Here again, I probably should have considered this longer.

While Blythe made her arguments calmly, rationally, and well, and for a moment, I waffled.  I thought maybe I was being unreasonable.  So I quickly asked my friends on Facebook what I should do.  Here is what I posted:

Quick, friends! I need almost instant feedback. The children want to come sit with me along the parade route this evening, from 11pm-3isham. The attached is all the reasons why I should say yes. I've said no 28 times, but Blythe keeps pleading and repeating all these arguments. Should I cave in and let them come? For the past few years I have gone with other moms and we've talked and played games and been without children--a truly happy occurrence, especially during the summer when they are with me and expect to be entertained practically ALL THE TIME. Just a yes or no would be much appreciated.

I got lots of responses, and I liked them so much, I'm going to include them here.

Nancy Teusch: No. But consider it next year when you know it's coming & not a cave. Don't give up your plan.
Janette VanLeuven McEntire: Yes—because they are only little once and this seems like something they will remember fondly forever! Edited to add: those are compelling reasons listed, too. 
Andrea Bosco Klocke: Tell them No...mommy needs adult time with her friends. Maybe next year
Jennifer Hainsworth: No but give them an age when they one day they can join you. Or maybe join you for part of the time.
Craig Gardner: A meme with an old man flinging aside signs that say NO one after another.
Letty Meibos: No, Mom needs one more year free of children, but next year yes.
Bob Craghead: Yes. Give in. Cave. Make memories with them. And they will remember it forever. Do something else for alone time. This is exciting and mysterious and venturesome for them. I say let them come!--followed by a meme of a guy throwing his arms in the air and yelling YES YES YES.  He continued: Say yes and the Kilted Viking Warrior would be willing to bring you three a treat at some point. and say hi!--followed by another meme of a guy saying, "What are you waiting for? DO IT!" I replied: persuasive, but still no. But bring me a treat, anyway. I'll be on Center between 300 & 400 E on the south side of the street. He said, "No kids, no deal."  I did without.
Angela Bradford: No way. Cave in now, and she'll just ask 29 or 30 times next time. Mom's need their special time, too (and probably more). 
Goose Nielsen: NO
Erika Morgan Barrus: I vote yes:) only so I can be there favorite cousin-in-law😊 also only 5 more summers with Brandt and 7 with Blythe:) not too many left haha
Grace Marshall: Tell the no for this year because the mosquitoes are man eaters this year, but promise for next year. Then you wont look forward to girl time you arent going to get.
Tom Nelson: What are these things you call, “children?”
Krista Thornock: Some of my best memories were camping out at the parade route, which led my sister and I to do it with her kiddos up until three years ago; now we are bleacher buddies. I say yes.
Sarah Westerberg: Just say No—My kids had a similarly lightweight list of reasons why they should be able to come to the airport to collect William at 3am this morning and they followed their list up with screaming and hysterics and then I knew it was definitely No. Good luck!
Elizabeth Elder who was on the parade route with me: We had the same argument tonight (well they argued a case and I just ignored them). I don’t need tired kids on an already exhausting holiday!! 
Judy Scheurman: No. I'm jealous of your mommy time
Michelle Brinkerhoff: I vote “yes” and come parade time, they will be out cold and you will all get to enjoy a nice long “ne parade pas” nap😊 Let us know the outcome!
Kelly Kennedy: No but off something else
Ada Johnson: Sorry I’m late but I would have voted yes! What great leverage you would have. I would have them agree to a bunch of stuff including letting you have down time every day for. 1 hour. No interruptions, 1 hour everyday. And you wouldn’t be the one finding them what to do for that hour. Man I use leverage all the time 
Diana Freeman: YES YES YES YES!! A million times YAAASSSS! Epic memory!
Judy Clark: If all of the other moms take their kids then you can!
Bob Craghead again with the following picture.  He said: Your kids want me to post this. 

I was unswayed.  Kent too.  He said no as much as I did.  We both knew that the children would be grouchy crabby miserable to be around if they didn't sleep most of the night, and neither of us wanted to deal with that.  So we put them to bed before I left.  Brandt didn't go to sleep just to be spiteful, and he was crabby grouchy all day.  I had a nice time with Mikayla, Elizabeth Elder, and McKenzie Drake.  We talked, I froze three types of ice cream as we sat outside and watched the other crazies up and about, and we had an excellent spot for parade watching when all was said and done.



Maybe next year.

Maybe.


No comments:

Post a Comment