Thursday, July 11, 2019

In Training

I'm hiking the Narrows in Zion National Park in just a couple of weeks.  It's a long hike, sixteen miles, through lots of water.  It will be hard and I've felt like I should be doing lots of hiking in anticipation.  I've been up Rock Canyon several times with my friend, Kim Daw, and have made a point to tromp through the water anytime it crosses the trail.  I'm not sure the four miles each day is really adequate "training," but at least I'm breaking in the shoes I bought just for this occasion.  I've enjoyed hiking and talking with Kim, and being in the canyon in the early morning hours as the sun is coming up, the day is new, and the air is crisp and fresh smelling.  It's all been wonderful.  Here's hoping the Narrows are too!

This morning, just before we turned to head back down the trail, we stopped and sat on a log for a bit of a breather and to enjoy the sounds and smells.  This was our view.




No comments:

Post a Comment