Friday, May 25, 2018

Sixth Grade Graduation

Last day of school this year, and Brandt's last day of elementary school.  Amazingly, he is done and moving on to middle school.  What happened to the little boy who was in kindergarten yesterday?  There was a very nice graduation celebration today, then Brandt was all done.  He's been practicing songs and dance moves for weeks, and I've been writing a talk, as I was asked to be the keynote speaker.  Here is my report of the event, complete with blurry pictures (grrrrrr!).  

Brandt's class before heading off to graduation.


The sixth graders all filed in, by class, to sit in the front of the gym.  Brandt had been asked to in the lead in the color guard, so he wore his scout uniform and came up to the stage while everyone else marched in.  He called the color guard forward, then lead us all in the pledge of allegiance.  Kent didn't really get a picture of that.  



Bill Hulterstrom, who we've known for years, came to present the Hope of America awards, and he and I chatted as we sat on the stage waiting for things to begin.  He gave awards, then Mr. Nielsen gave out presidential academic excellence awards, and then the graduates sang a sweet song.  It was all about reading and it made me cry.  I was sitting behind the kids so I felt okay crying, except that as soon as the song was over, I was supposed to speak.  I was a mess and didn't prepare adequately with a tissue.  They were in my purse which was on the floor next to Kent.

Words to the song at the top of this page.

Brandt singing.

Then it was my turn to speak.  Brandt had to introduce me, and this is what he said.
Now to introduce the key stone speaker, which is my mom, Katherine DeMartini Barrus.  My mom is awesome because she does Everything!  I have listed four things she does really well.
1. She bikes
2. She takes care of us 
3. She graduated from 6th grade in 1982 from Timpview Elementary in Provo (it's actually Timpanogos, but I didn't correct him.)
4. She is a great reader and reads to us every night.
I am very pleased to introduce my Mom!
Then I spoke.  I will include the text of my talk at the end of this post.  I tried to make it interesting and funny and not too long, because seriously, who wants to hear a mom go on and on?


Then there was the presentation of the diplomas.  Mr. Nielsen read out the names of each student by class, they walked across the stage and got their diploma from their teacher, then sat back down.  


There was next a super fun slideshow of the kids from the whole year, great candid shots from lots of activities.  Everyone loved it!  There were several pictures of Brandt, and I'm hoping to get copies of them from his teacher.  I'll include them here if she sends them to me.  

The grand finale was a closing song, "Graduation!" set to the song "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang.  They changed the words to reflect all the fun things they did this year, and had cute dance moves, too.  Brandt looked in his element, like he was having a good time.






And then he was done.  I only cried a little bit watching the slide show and the singing, and even a bit less while speaking.  It's wonderful to see Brandt growing up.  This year has been excellent for him.  Mrs. Neilson has been an ideal teacher for Brandt, seeing lots of potential in him, recognizing his kind heart and willingness to work, she's praised him for his ability to stay on task and ask good questions, and just helped him bloom.  We've been so pleased with Brandt's work and the fine young man he is becoming.


My nose is read because I've been crying.
But only a little bit!

Attached to this picture, Brandt said, "After graduation, my hopes and dreams are . . . 
to graduate college and work for my dad."


My talk

I find it hard to believe we're here at your sixth grade graduation.  I remember many of you from kindergarten;  little people, eager, excited, interested in everything.  And now you are bigger people, but still eager, excited and interested in everything.  I still see Brandt as my little guy, as I'm fairly certain your parents see all of you, and yet I know Brandt is offended that I would think of him as little.
 
I remember my sixth grade year very clearly.  My teacher, Miss Steele, was my favorite teacher of elementary school, I had great friends, some of whom are still my friends, and I was a really good student.  I wanted to win the Hope of America award, but didn't.  I threw the javelin the very farthest in our Olympic games, even farther than the boys, I was an excellent kickball player, and I once went to school wearing lots of make-up, high-heeled boots, and a silk scarf because I was big enough to fit in my mother's clothes and I wanted to be grown up.  I started to pay attention to boys as creatures other than irritations, and I discovered I loved to read.

I hope you'll have wonderful memories of your sixth grade year.  The year began with a solar eclipse, there was a hoe down, you created amazing Egyptian projects almost as fantastic as the originals, you went roller skating twice, you put on a Greek play, you've sung or blown or bowed as you've made music, partied for holidays and good reading, learned about your changing bodies, maybe participated in the science fair or reflections or robotics, eaten an astounding Medieval Feast, went to the planetarium, learned about foreign counties, and had a fun field day in the pouring rain.  You've studies English and science and math and technology and social studies, and I'm sure you've all made excellent progress and passed your SAGE tests with flying colors.  You've made friends and eaten lunch and been buddy readers and the top dogs at school.  And you've had marvelous teachers who have grown to love you.  What a year!!

And now sixth grade is finished.  You're graduating and moving on to middle school.  In many ways, elementary school is a safe place.  You go to school with all the same people so you know most everyone, you are in one class and have one teacher, and you feel comfortable in your surroundings.  But moving on to middle school can be challenging and a bit scary.  So today, because you are graduating from sixth grade, I want to make six suggestions as you move forward; six BEs that will help you find your way forward.

1. Be Kind       I put Be Kind first because I think it's the most important.  How many of you, parents and family members included, have ever felt uncomfortable in a new situation?  We all have, and you will.  But you can help each other by being kind.  Say hello to someone you don't know.  Be inclusive.  Sit next to someone sitting alone at lunch.  Talk to your classmates.  Not everyone has to be your best friend, but try to be a friend to everyone.  Popularity becomes a big deal in middle and high school, but remember that being nice to others will make you more popular than being cool.  In the book Wonder, Auggie's English teacher, Mr. Browne, shares the precept "When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind."  You should do that, too.

2. Be Brave     As you move forward in life, you will find yourself in situations that might make you uncomfortable.  You need to Be Brave enough to say no to things that you don't want to do.  Say no to the offer of a cigarette or a drink.  Don't look at the naked person picture.  Walk out of the movie that makes you uncomfortable.  Stand up for the little guy who might be being bullied.  Stand up for yourself.  Be the one who goes against the crowd if you feel the crowd is wrong.   In The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, when Peter is faced with his first real battle, the text says, "Peter did not feel very brave; indeed, he felt he was going to be sick. But that made no difference to what he had to do."  He fights, he wins, and he's made first a knight and then a king.  You may feel sick in a difficult situation, but be brave.

3.  Be You   You are each unique.  You are wonderful young people.  You've got strengths and talents that make you unlike anyone else, and that's fantastic.  you don't need to be like others, and you shouldn't let others' opinions dictate who you are or what you become.  We all want approval and we all want to be liked.  But don't think you've got to be different than you are for people to like you.  Dr. Seuss said, "Today you are You, that is truer than true.  There is no one alive who is Youer than You."  And you are amazing.

4.  Be Adventurous     I was so excited as Brandt and I looked through course options at Centennial.  I don't know if Brandt was excited, but I think it is great that you have so many electives.  You have the opportunity to try all sorts of new things.  Try them!  Be Adventurous.  See if you like ballroom dance or robotics or ancient cultures or foods or media arts or choir or art or Chinese or band or running track or playing volleyball or being in a play.  You may discover you love something you've never done before because you've done it before.  Try new foods.  Try new styles.  Go new places.  As Ellie says in the movie Up, "Adventure is out there!"  So get off the couch, step away from the computer, put down the hand-held electronic device, strap on your bike helmet and get out there!  Bravely do new things.

5. Be Curious   Along with being open to having new experiences and trying new things, Be Curious.  Ask questions, and then go find the answers.  Ask your parents, they know more than you might think.  As your teachers who want to help you learn.  Go to the library and look in books.  Ask Google which seems to know everything.  Just ask.  In James and the Giant Peach, the old green Grasshopper says to James, "My dear young fellow, there are a whole lot of things in this world of ours you haven't started wondering about yet."  As you encounter things you wonder about, go look for answers.

6.  Be a Reader   We love to read at our house.  We read aloud as a family, we read individually, and Kent and I are always reading something with the children.  We have laughed and cried together and grown to love characters that appear in our favorite stories.  Reading can open doors to worlds unimaginable.  Reading can take you places you would never be able to visit, can introduce you to people alive and dead you'll never meet, and give you insight into life experiences you'll never have.  It can help you be adventurous and curious and can teach you so many things you didn't know you didn't know.  Reading can open your eyes and hearts and minds and help you live a fuller, more rich life, and it can teach you to be kinder and braver and true to yourself.  Reading can help you BE all the things I've mentioned.  Roald Dahl, an author whose books we love at our house, said,
"So please, of please, we beg, we pray,
Go throw your TV set away,
And in its place you can install
A lovely bookshelf on the wall."
I don't know that you really need to throw away your TV set, but make sure, during the summer, that you set aside time to read.

You are embarking on a new phase of your lives.  I know you will become amazing teens and young adults, and I hope to be able to continue to watch you grow from afar.  With all the parental love I have in my heart, I wish you well.  Onward and upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment