Thursday, February 1, 2018

Email Missive

While going through emails, I discovered a rather newsy one I wrote to Michelle, and I figured I should include it here, just as a matter of family history.  Funny stuff.

Hello,
We continue to get Charlie's mission missives, and we enjoy them.  We are, however, not being able to see his pictures.  They are requiring permission, and I don't seem to have it.  Apparently, they are available on a "need to know" basis, and I don't need to know.  

Thing is, I DO need to know.  I begin collecting pictures for the family photo book as early as January, and I am certain there must be a picture or two worth putting in my Charlie file, if only I could see them.  Would you forward me pictures you think would be a nice addition to the book?  As I say, I'd do it myself, but I can't.  I was amazed when you said that if we do a family reunion in August, he might be there.  He's coming home so soon!  Other people's missions go so much faster than one's own.

How are things?  We are busy.  Brandt had 6th grade maturation yesterday, and tonight he had me read through the booklet they gave out about physical changes he can expect.  Exciting reading about "nocturnal emissions," "sperm," and "semen."  I really think it should have been Kent going over those things with him.  We read all about the vas deferens, the scrotum, and the other male reproductive parts, and I kept thinking, 'I don't know much at all about any of this stuff.'  But Brandt asked me to read with him, and I want him to feel comfortable talking about anything with me, so I launched in and read the whole thing, explaining as we went, including an explanation of STDs.  Oh joy.  I do need to have the birds and bees talk with Blythe.  I'd like the conversation to feel natural and organic, not an awkward, uncomfortable put-on sort of talk, but it's hard to create that sort of situation when you don't really want to "create" it, you just want it to happen.  Still looking for that perfect moment.  Parenting if fraught with challenges.  How do we survive through it all?

Brandt had a band concert last night.  He plays the trumpet now.  It was a surprisingly good concert--mercifully short (a grand total of 30 minutes), exciting pieces, and a finale with 400 musicians all playing together.  The 6th grade band from all the elementary schools that feed into Timpview performed one piece together, then the middle school band, then the high school band, and then the combined number.  Brandt performed for us at FHE on Monday.  He hit different notes and had excellent counting during the rest portions.  There were quite a few of those, and though I suggested we just skip over those parts and keep playing, he said he had to practice just like it was written, so we all sat in almost silence while he tapped his foot for measures at a time.  But it was all wonderful, wonderful.  

Blythe is in the process of writing a novel called Paisley and the Possessed Pencil Box.  It's an exciting story, five chapters so far, full of childhood drama.  She uses big words and great detail, but her spelling isn't all there, and her punctuation is non-existent.  In other artistically creative news, she wants to make a Pusheen the Cat Valentine's box for her class party.  Here is a picture of Pusheen, if you haven't seen her before.  


We are going to try and make a paper mache cat with a balloon and modge podge.  Blythe has BIG artistic vision, but needs my help to see it happen, while I am NOT very artistic and have to stretch myself greatly to try and realize Blythe's dream.  She wants a door in the back, by the butt, you can remove the valentine's through.  It must have a tail made of fabric, stuffed with cotton balls, tiny feet and ears made of cardboard, and an opening at the mouth where valentine's can be inserted.  I'm probably going to spend five days straight working on it, trying to get it just perfect.  I ask myself why she can't be satisfied with the valentine's box from last year, a cute metal mailbox we ordered online and which she decorated all by herself.  We've still go it.  Brand will be using the Cupid Yoda box he made four years ago for the fourth year in a row.  He's soooooo much easier than Blythe.  Don't tell her I said that.  

The weather has been unseasonably warm.  Today it was nearly 50.  Has been all week.  While I know we need snow and at the rate we're going, we won't be able to water the lawn this summer, I am enjoying the warmer temps.  It's not nearly so depressing and miserable to be outside.

I have gone on and on.  It's getting late, I'm getting up early, and Brandt pointed out I have dark circles under my eyes.  "Why, Mom?" he asked.  When I told him I didn't get enough sleep, he said, "Oh, I'll leave you to go to sleep now."  It was 8:15.  I probably should have.  My guess is it would have felt wonderful.

We haven't seen Annie in a while.  I need to call her.  
Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment