Tuesday, July 5, 2016

An Email Update

Another email to Uncle Charles.  Newsy and compact.  This seems like a good way to keep information.

Mid-morning, July 5th.  We're all wiped out.  We partied hard yesterday.  Thing about the 4th of July--it starts early and ends late, and in between, we eat far too much, not all of it good for us.  We're sort of having a hang over, without alcohol ever having been involved.  I spent several hours in the wee hours of Monday morning staking a parade watching spot.  Mikayla and Guy and their kids and Eugene and Sharae and their kids joined us and our neighbors along Center Street for good viewing.  The kids always like the parade.  In the afternoon, after a bit of a rest and ice cream making at home, we went and swam at my mom's house.  We went to Salt Lake for a Barrus Family barbecue in the late afternoon.   Kent's dad is in town for almost two weeks.  He's been living in Hawaii with Kent's sister, and is here for two weddings.  He's 91 and really slowing down.  We returned for the Cul-de-sac of Fire which was, in a word, epic.  Christopher put together four, 15-minute shows with really fantastic fireworks.  He was giddy with unsuppressed delight at how huge and magical it was.  There were hundreds of people in and around the cul-de-sac, and fortunately, no one was injured.  I got home with the kids at 11:45 and got the stink eye from Kent for being so late (he left before the fireworks even started).  I couldn't get the kids away.

We had a beautiful day on Saturday.  Blythe turned eight in June and was baptized on Saturday.  It was a really sweet experience.  All my family was there (including Bryan and Missy), two of Kent's siblings and their wives, his dad, Blythe's birth grandparents and her aunt on her mom's side.  There was a very nice spirit and I was overwhelmed with gratitude for the goodness of our lives.  There are pictures on my blog. 

I am still blogging, although Tysen isn't.  She is busy, busy, busy with those kids.  Mikayla blogs regularly, too.  Do you know her blog?  I'm still at thebarri.blogspot.com and Mikayla is at gmjohnsen.blogspot.com.  You can see her super darling children on her blog.  She and I are both a bit behind, but we both post regularly, and if we've done things with cousins, there are pictures of everyone, so you could get an idea of how people are growing and changing.  It will be fun to have you here and then have you on the blog, too.

About our trip to New York.  We drove down to Long Island to George and Bea's house.  It's the only time I've been there.  Aunt Betty was there as well as George and Bea's kids.  We just drove down for the day to have Easter dinner, and then drove home again.  We didn't stay overnight.  We ate and visited.  I recall you commenting that all their talk of family togetherness and activities seemed to you to be a bit of grandstanding, making out like things were really rosy in their family.  Maybe they were, I don't really remember.  They put ice in their wine and didn't serve the good stuff we'd brought (the bottle of Chardonnay I had been given by my classmate and an extra bottle we bought because one bottle didn't seem like enough), opting instead for cheaper stuff they had.  Naturally, Kent and I didn't drink the wine, so I can't really comment on the quality of anything that was drunk.  I do recall the manicotti wasn't spectacular, but I didn't go away hungry.

Is there anything you would really like to do while you are here?  Tysen and I were talking about your visit and want to make sure you have a good time and that your expectations are met.  Perhaps if we knew what those expectations were, we could plan in advance and make sure everyone's schedules are open.  We really are glad you're coming!

I need to go clean my bedroom and bathroom.  I did lots of cleaning on Friday in anticipation of post-baptism lunch here at our house, but I ran out of time and my room was not touched.  It is in desperate need of attention.
See you soon!
Kisses!

No comments:

Post a Comment