Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Oral Language Festival

This year Blythe was selected to participate in the school's Oral Language Festival.  This amounts to students standing in front of their families and reciting some piece of literature-ish something with feeling.  Blythe is a dramatic child (she gets that from Kent) and likes to be the center of attention (she gets that from Kent too), so this was right up her alley.  I suggested she choose a Shel Silverstein poem and she selected the poem, "It's Hot!" from A Light in the Attic.  She had it memorized quickly and worked on it over a week, and she did a fantastic job the night of the performance.  She expressed a bit of nervousness, but when it was her turn, she spoke clearly, with feeling, and remembered everything.  We were certainly proud of her efforts.



Here's the poem, included because it's short.

It's Hot!

It's hot!
I can't get cool,
I've drunk a quart of lemonade.
I think I'll take my shoes off
And sit around in the shade.

It's hot!
My back is sticky,
The sweat rolls down my chin.
I think I'll take my clothes off
And sit around in my skin.

It's hot!
I've tried with 'lectric fans,
And pools and ice cream cones.
I think I'll take my skin off
And sit around in my bones.

It's still hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment