Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Spring Break Day 3

After such an unproductive and not super fun (in my view) day yesterday, I had big plans for today.  Big plans.  I wanted to take the kids to the new aquarium in Draper and go to Trader Joe's (because we'd be in Salt Lake).  I met with some resistance about going to the aquarium.  Blythe was insistent that we go to the movie instead, and I wasn't opposed to going to the movie, I just thought that we would have Brick who doesn't do super well in the movie.  Turns out we didn't have Brick, and because of that, I made an executive decision to go to Salt Lake.  I'm the mom; I can do that.

We drove to the aquarium in the rain/snow.  The roads weren't terrible, but a bit dicey.  Upon arrival we found the parking lot completely full, overflow parking crowded, and three school buses off to the side, trying not to take up too many parking spaces.  It was obviously going to be a madhouse, and I couldn't bring myself to fight through the masses to see fish.  So we didn't even get out of the car, and I had the children figure out how to get to Trader Joe's on Google Maps on the my phone.  Blythe said, "See.  I told you we should have gone to the movie."

We had an expensive shopping trip.  I was very permissive about what went into the cart, mostly because we hardly ever get to Trader Joe's and they have such appealing stuff to eat.  We got chocolate covered sunflower seeds and almonds, cheddar cheese rocket crackers (so much better than gold fish), lobster ravioli, French lemonade, and jerky, among all the rest.  So fun.  The kids loved it.

We drove home in the worst storm we've had all winter.  It was snowsleeting, I could hardly see out the window, the traffic--gratefully--was crawling along, and the kids kept asking for treats we had just purchased and had to be immediately consumed.  It wasn't the best day to be on a Salt Lake grocery run.

We stopped at the movie theater on the way home and got tickets to Home.  We all enjoyed the movie which was funny and brightly colorful, and so by the end of the day, we were all happy having gotten what we wanted: me a trip to Trader Joe's, Blythe a movie, and Brandt lots of beef jerky.  I don't know how Kent came out at the end of the day, but I'll share Trader Joe treats with him, and he'll probably be fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment