Monday, September 27, 2010

A Testimony

We had our ward Primary program on Sunday.  It was my first as the Primary president, and Brandt's first as a Sunbeamer.  Brandt had a short part.  He was to respond to the question, "How do you know Heavenly Father and Jesus love you?"  When I asked him this question some weeks ago, he replied, "They give me blessings."
"What sort of blessings?" I asked.
"Food.  Bubbles.  My trucks," he said.
So his part was, "They give me blessings like food, bubbles, and my trucks."


We practiced every day this past week, and Brandt said his part more and more confidently each time.  Thing is, Brandt gets very shy in front of large groups of people, and I was not at all sure he would actually say his part.  I really thought I would have to say it for him.  


On Saturday, after we had practiced, Brandt said, "I'm going to say my part in the microphone."
"Super!" I replied.
Yesterday, Brandt was really excited and happily joined me on the stand at the beginning of the program.  I saw him singing our first song, I Know That My Savior Loves Me and began to cry.  He sang out so well and knew all the words.  I was very moved to see my son sing, "I know He lives! I will follow faithfully.  My heart I give to Him.  I know that my Savior loves me."


Not only did he sing, but he stood at the podium and said his part.  He really did it.  He said, "They give me blessings," then turned to me and said, "What else?"  
I replied, "What blessings do they give?"
Then he said, "Food, bubbles," another look to me and I whispered, "My trucks," and he said, "And my trucks."  


I was so pleased.  Our boy, our sweet little boy is growing up.  He is coming into his own and developing a testimony.  He told us the other day that he wants Jesus to come again so he can thank him for making our bodies so that they heal themselves when we get cut or bruised.  He likes to pray and he loves to sing Primary songs, especially Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam.  


And speaking of Primary programs and singing, Blythe did not get to participate directly.  She loved the program though.  She stood on Kent's lap so she had a better view, she called out to Jack Tanner ("Hi Jack!"), and came to sit with Heidi Tanner on the stand because she had to be closer to the action.  She, too, likes to sing Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam.  This morning, when she woke, she was singing before I went in to get her out of bed.  I am glad Brandt and Blythe are both learning about the gospel at home and at church.

No comments:

Post a Comment