Tuesday, September 14, 2010

C Activities

We did three C activities today.  We put our C words up around the house, including "ceiling" and "clock" and "cupboard."  I also got "clothes" stuck to my bum, but didn't realize it until Kent got home.  Both children were delighted to help stick up words, and even managed to fight over who got to attach "cow" to a cow.  I had to make a second cow to avoid conflict.

Our second activity was a chemistry project.  Yesterday I was reading a friend's blog and she had a link to how to make slime using Elmer's glue, water, food coloring, and Borax.  Chemistry starts with C, the making of slime involved some sort of chemical reaction, and so voila! A C activity.  So this morning we walked to the store to get Borax and glue (another beautiful morning), and this afternoon, post nap, we made slime.  Brandt totally got into it, Blythe didn't want to touch it, and we now have two Ziploc bags of slime.
Here they are mixing glue and water.

Then the mixing after adding the Borax.  Brandt went right to work kneading; Blythe wouldn't touch hers.

Brandt's green slimy final blob.
He was so excited about this.
When Kent got home, Brandt made him close his eyes,
then led him into the kitchen to show him a "surprise!"
Too much messy fun.

Our third activity involved laundry.  Normally I wash and dry the laundry, pile each load up on the bed, and then have a massive foldfest in the evening while I watch TV.  I'm making an effort to get to bed earlier which means I need to get more done each day during the day, so today I was trying to fold as I went.  I had two loads of the children's clothes, and devised a clever ploy to have them help me.  We played "clothes sorting," because "clothes" start with C.  I dumped the basket of clothes in the middle of Blythe's bedroom and had them each take out their own clothing.  I folded Blythe's as she handed them to me, and Brandt piled his in the empty basket.  When all was sorted, I had a pile of socks, and then I had Brandt play "matching" with me.  Two loads of laundry were done in the no time at all, I didn't even have to do it all myself, and it was even fun for the children!

No comments:

Post a Comment