Monday, September 27, 2010

A First!

It was gloriously beautiful today and so we went swimming.  The pool is still open because, though it is the end of September, it has been hot and sunny.  Heidi Tanner took Simon and Jack out of school early and we swam.  


Brandt of late has been most comfortable in the kiddie pool.  Jack and Simon were jumping off the diving board, however, and Brandt wanted to push them off, so though he didn't have floaties on while in the shallow end, being down by the deep end was making me too nervous.  I also jumped in by the diving board so that I would be on hand should Brandt accidentally fall in.  Turns out, Brandt sort of got pushed in, off the board, and came up panicking.  He surfaced and yelled, "Katherine!"  I was right there, he was floating, and everything was fine.  


In fact, everything was great.  Having made the initial plunge, Brandt was willing to jump off the diving board lots of times.  Finally.  I have been trying to convince him to go off all summer without any luck.  Had I known all it would take was a push from Jack, I would have had him shove Brandt off in June.  I think it is funny that the breakthrough happened on September 27th, when the pool will likely be closed by the end of the week.  


I also didn't have my camera.  I have been snapping shots for months and didn't really think I needed another swimming picture from this year.  But drat! I did!  And no camera so no photo.  We'll just have to swim again this week.  Like tomorrow, and maybe Wednesday, and if we can squeeze it in, Thursday too.  


Guess what?  We swam on Wednesday, and I took the camera. I took the video too, so here are wonderful shots of Brandt mid-jump.  Swimming on Friday, Saturday, and probably Monday too.  The pool will be closed on Tuesday (so sad). 


And as a side note, in his panic, Brandt did not cry out "Mom!" he cried out "Katherine!"  He apparently isn't trying to be funny by calling me Katherine, he just thinks of me as Katherine.  Is he precocious?  Is he cheeky?  Should I be worried?  Try to get him to call me Mom?  Interesting boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment