Monday, October 1, 2018

Unrestful Thoughts or Vocabulary

I read to Blythe last night, and after the chapter, as she was supposed to be settling down and getting ready to fall asleep, we had the following conversation.

Blythe: "Mom, what's the word that means the smell after rain?"
Me: "What? Fresh, clean."
Blythe: "No, not that.  I was looking up vocabulary words at school today, and at the bottom of a page I sat the question, 'What's the word that means the smell after rain?' and I was going to click on it to learn the word, but then I had to get off the computer.  It's driving me crazy! I've got to know what it is! I won't be able to sleep until I know.  Will you please look it up on your phone?"

I didn't have my phone on my person, so I went downstairs and looked it up.  Here's what I found.  The word is "Petrichor."  Petrichor (/ˈpɛtrɪkɔːr/) is the earthy scent produced when rain falls on dry soil. The word is constructed from Greek πέτρα petra, meaning "stone", and ἰχώρ īchōr, the fluid that flows in the veins of the gods in Greek mythology.

I went back upstairs and read Blythe the definition.  She said, "Oh good. Thanks Mom.  Now I'll be able to sleep."  And she rolled over and was rather quickly asleep.

This morning I went biking with Maureen.  I shared this experience and the definition, but as we talked, I realized I had no idea how to use it in a sentence.  Was it a noun? And adjective?  I was at a loss.  So I got home and looked it up again to see how it should be used.  Here's what I found today. 

noun: petrichor
  1. a pleasant smell that frequently accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather.
    "Other than the petrichor emanating from the rapidly drying grass, there was not a trace of evidence that it had rained at all."

I think this is a word I will try and incorporate into my regular parlance, and will encourage Blythe to do the same.  I'm delighted that she's looking up words and wants to know what things mean.  In this regard, she's Kent's child for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment