Tuesday, October 30, 2018

On the 30th Day of Halloween

On the 30th day of Halloween we carved pumpkins for the porch.  A couple of weeks ago, we went to select pumpkins.  I'm happy to report that I didn't need a pumpkin intervention this year.  We bought a very reasonable number of gourds.  It has been warm this month, and I discovered that a couple of the pumpkins had molded, leaving big chunks black and mushy.  We couldn't carve the big one Brandt had selected, and one that I had chosen, but we had smaller ones that worked for him and me.

Here's how the carving went.  Brandt hacked away at his pumpkin on his own, free-handing a face complete with unibrow, zit, big smiley mouth, and mustache.  Blythe wanted a pattern, and when I couldn't find our book with pumpkin carving patterns, she had to look one up online and then had to have lots of help from me to realize the pumpkin of her imagination.  I carved a small white squash to look like a ghost, and we left the rest to moulder and ooze a bit.  It was a fun FHE activity and gave the front porch an even more Halloween-y feel that before.

Now, before tomorrow, I need to find some votives to put inside.
Pictures courtesy of Andrea Lucas, my friend, who was hanging out with us today following surgery on her mouth.
































 
  




No comments:

Post a Comment