Friday, October 5, 2018

Colonial Days

Today was a big day for Blythe.  It was Colonial Days.  In school, the fifth grade has been doing a unit on the early founding of the country, and today was the big culminating event.  We had ordered Blythe a cute Colonial costume, we did her hair in a bun, I donned my pilgrim costume from two years ago when Brandt had Colonial Days, and off we went to school.  Blythe looked darling, and upon arrival at school, chatted with all her little friends and compared how Colonial they looked.  It was fun to watch her interact with her peers.

Throughout the morning, there were eight stations or activities Blythe participated in.  They had soap carving, quilting, a spinning demonstration, learning how to do cat's cradle and getting pictures in the stocks, going to school, a Day in the Life where they learned about typical activities, dancing, and a treat and story session.

At the end of the day, after she got home, I asked Blythe what her favorite part of the day was.  She told me she most liked cat's cradle and the story she heard while eating her treat.  My favorite part was watching her dancing.  I helped with the school for a couple of sessions, looking stern, making the class stand and repeat their times tables, and punishing boys who got out of line by caning them.  We did it out in the hall, I whacked the wall, and they shrieked in "pain."  Too funny!  Mr. Hansen, the principal, came and took over, so I sort of roamed around and watched Blythe quilt and dance.  I think it was a super fun way to end a school unit.










Blythe is giving me the stink-eye.
She doesn't want me taking her picture.

I'm doing it anyway.

More of the stink-eye.


And speaking of the stink-eye,
here I am, mean school teacher,
ready to whack you if you misbehave.

No comments:

Post a Comment