Thursday, March 1, 2018

Rearrangements

I have great hope that we can finish up our house projects this year, with the exception of the kitchen.  I think we need to redo the kitchen, but don't tell Kent I think that.  He'll have a heart attack, and I'm not ready for that yet.  But I would like to get the laundry room done (we are making great progress here--I hope to be done by the end of the month), redo our bathroom, and finish the basement before the end of the year.  It's doable, if we can get our act together.

Part of the basement finishing involved moving our food storage from the north side of the basement to the south side of the basement.  We want to put a bedroom where the food storage has been, and I needed to get it situated where it was going to live permanently.  Hopefully we can just frame around it, as I don't really intend on finishing that part of the basement.  There are things I can do for these projects and things I can't do, but moving food was something I could do, without assistance, so I've launched in.  It gives me an outlet for pent-up frustration energy, where I can feel constructive without actually needing professional advise/help/skill.

I've been doing two things in the rearranging.  First, I have been getting the food moved, reshelved, and organized.  But second, I've been able to sort through all our food storage and get rid of stuff we are not going to use because it is outdated or spoiled or simply something no one is really going to eat it.  Unfortunately, I've thrown away a lot of stuff.  However, it has felt so good to get things cleaned out, to take down shelving and reassemble other, and so see our storage space come together.  Over several days of working, I was able to get everything shifted, and I have basically cleared out half of the basement.  There are boxes that need sorting and other items that we need to seriously consider getting rid of, but I've put more stuff under the house, swept, and tidied in such a way that I can visually see progress, not just feel like I've moved stuff around.

Here is Blythe showing off how small she is.
She can fit on a shelf. 
She told me she wanted to sleep on that shelf tonight.
I told her no.
She doesn't know it, but she's grateful.

While emptying bags of flour into buckets for more long-term storage, I made not one, but two rather large messes.  I was first dumping the last third of a bucket of flour from one bucket into another, and it splurched out more quickly than I anticipated.  It got all over the floor around the bucket, and poofed a fine mist of flour into the air.  I felt stupid and vowed to be more careful with the remain two bags of flour that needed to go in buckets.  But I fumbled the next bag of flour I opened when I stepped backward to get a better angle on the dumping and stepped on the scissors I had just left on the floor.  I jerked up to catch myself from falling, and a significant amount of flour splurched out again.  I was glad I hadn't bothered to clean up the first mess before making the second.

First mess.

Second mess

Innocuous looking scissors.
Don't be deceived!

No comments:

Post a Comment