Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Sixth Grade

I had a great email exchange with Brandt's teacher today.  It gave me a glimpse into how he's performing at school, and I was delighted with what I learned.  Here's what I wrote.

Andrea,
Today in the mail we received a letter that says you nominated Brandt for the National Youth Leadership Forum.  It sounds like a great program, very interesting with diverse subjects covered.  I'm wondering if you did, indeed, nominate Brandt or if everyone in sixth grade is sent a letter.  If you did nominate him, would you share with me the reasons why.  While I try to be involved in Brandt's school work, I also don't want to be a helicopter parent, nagging him about his studies.  I check up on his work at Power School, but otherwise, I feel like I don't really know what's going on.  We've got SEPs coming soon, and I know we'll talk then, but just wanting to be further enlightened before pursuing this STEM summer program.
Many thanks!

Here is what Mrs. Neilson replied.

I have never done anything with that program before, I just received a letter from them a few weeks ago telling me I could nominate 10 students to be invited to participate. Brandt has struck me as a devoted learner since the first week of school, so I thought he might be interested. He always asks great questions, and wants to further improve his knowledge. I very much appreciate him in my class as he is always willing to help and stay on task.

I just love knowing our boy is doing good work.  Hooray for sixth grade!

No comments:

Post a Comment