Saturday, June 20, 2015

Backyard Camping

Last night we did backyard camping.  Several weeks ago a neighbor borrowed our tent to take on Pioneer Trek, and when the kids saw it out in the entryway, they both accosted me.  "Why is the tent out? Are we going camping?  Can we sleep in the backyard? You promised we could sleep in the backyard! It's warm enough now! I want to sleep in the backyard right this minute! This very second! Now!"  

They had to wait until after Pioneer Trek, but as soon as it was returned, the questions started up again.  So last night we slept outside.  Because they were so excited, they had a terrible time falling asleep.  In fact, they didn't fall asleep.  Kent and I were moving a couple of trees into the backyard when they were supposed to be settling down and being quiet, but we were adding to their distraction.  We tried to read to them, and that helped, but it didn't entirely do the trick.  I had promised I would sleep outside with them, and I had planned on joining them after doing a couple of things inside, but in the end, I gave up and joined them earlier than I had anticipated.

The evening was nice and warm, so when we all settled down to sleep, Brandt didn't have enough on, and none of us had adequate covering.  At 2:00am, Brandt woke up and said, "I'm really cold."  Blythe was all scrunched up looking cold, and I was chilly too.  So I crawled out of the tent and went for more blankets.  I tried to be super quiet, but I woke Kent who was concerned about us.  We were fine, once I got us all better covered.  The birds woke us up pretty early, but the children seem none the worse for wear.  I, however, am feeling old; my back and hips hurt.




No comments:

Post a Comment