Friday, February 13, 2015

First Grade Ice Skating

The first graders have been working really hard at being really good, and earned a trip to the ice rink for a skating activity.  I don't know who originally thought it was a good idea to take 80+ first graders ice skating, but it has become an annual activity, and they do seem to enjoy it, for the most part.  It is difficult to get the hang of being in uncomfortable bladed skates and move around on such a slippery surface, but I was impressed that the first graders were keen to try.  There was lots of falling and a fair amount of shrieking (from boys too!), but all in all, I think it was a good time.

We went skating in October during fall break, and Blythe spent most of the time clutching my hand and wanting me to skate with her.  Today, I encouraged her to try it on her own after we'd gone around for a few minutes, and within 20 minutes of getting on the ice, she was skating on her own.  She did pretty well, only falling a couple of times, and moving around the ice with Ellen and Lily.

Blurry action shot








 


No comments:

Post a Comment