Friday, September 19, 2014

Field Trip Friday #5--Ice Cream and Ninjas

We didn't actually go on a field trip today, because both children were busy with activities they planned themselves.  Blythe was invited to an ice cream party by Lilly and Emma Bradford which began right after school.  The ice cream party was just because the girls like ice cream and wanted to have a whole pack of girls over to play.  So they ate ice cream with lots of toppings and played.  I didn't really see Blythe until dinnertime.

Brandt and Jarom, our across the street neighbor, planned to provide Ninja training for anyone interested in coming, and all for the low price of $1/month.  Such a deal!  They posted a sign on Sunday advertising their class, and actually had some takers.  Gavin and Quentin Drake and two friends of Jarom's showed up and were given some sort of instruction by Brandt, Jarom, and Sam (Jarom's little brother).  I can't really speak to the quality of instruction, but everyone seemed to have a great time.  They came in after about 45 minutes and told me they were ready for the "healthy snack" portion of training.  I cut up a couple of apples and gave them each a small paper cup full of goldfish crackers (Ninjas are Asian, and Asians eat a lot of fish, right?).  I checked on them throughout the afternoon, and everything must have been good because they didn't finish until after 5:00 either.

While all this funness was happening, I paid bills and tried to clean off the mountain of papers that had accumulated on the desk.  I didn't think to take any pictures until after the fact, and I wasn't at the ice cream party, so nothing there.  Oh well.  I posted a little something on Facebook about the Ninja training and got these wonderful responses.

I wrote:   Brandt and his friend Jarom have just begun Ninja training at our house.  Hurry over if you feel in need of a bit of instruction.

Niece Kristy Orton wrote:  Jake would love to join in, dang, too bad it's a bit far.  (They are in California.)  Are they into Ninjago?

I replied:  With Brandt, it's not so much Ninjago as it is the idea of having a weapon--any weapon--and using it.

Kristy said: I completely understand.  Must be a little boy thing.  (Indeed!)

Niece Sunny Barrus wrote: Jack would love to come!  (We have had a marvelous time when Steve and Sunny have been down for a visit and come over with their kids.  Jack is Blythe's age, but he loves, loves, loves Star Wars, just like Brandt, and the two of them have run wildly around the house and yard, light sabers in hand, fighting Siths and keeping the galaxy safe.  I'm not surprised he would love to be with here.)

My friend Heather Helquist wrote: I could probably benefit from you--you can never be too prepared!

I responded:  Heather, I hate to disappoint, but I wasn't the one doing the training.  It was Brandt and Jarom.  I'm not sure about the quality of instruction, but it was on offer for those willing to give it a go.

She replied:  Ha ha!  That was totally a type.  I meant to say "benefit from that."  The visual imagery of you doing Ninja training though is very entertaining.  Maybe that is what we should do while the kids are at school--"Ninja Mom Training!"  That would probably increase the cool Mom factor in some of the younger kids eyes.

Too true.

No comments:

Post a Comment