Friday, August 3, 2012

Hikers

This morning I took the children hiking to Stewart Falls.  Kent thought I was crazy.  While it isn't a difficult hike, listed on the web site I consulted as "easy," it is about two miles one way and we haven't done much hiking.  I invited Bryan (plus Donovan) and Blake, and so we were five hikers and one rider.  The children did super well!  They both hiked all the way, carried their backpacks all the way to the falls, and hardly complained at all.  Brandt tripped over a rock and fell as we were getting ready to go and scraped his palms.  On the way back, Blythe did ask me to carry her (I didn't), and to have a rest about every minute and a half (I made her go about five minutes), and we did have to make a stop to pee in nature, but all in all, the whole experience was great.  I'm not sure I could get them to go hiking with me tomorrow, but they both gave positive reports to Kent.

Before we had even gotten to the parking lot to start the hike, we came across a whole flock of wild turkeys in the middle of the road.  There were two large birds and about eight to ten smaller ones.  
Before I could get the camera out of the backpack, Brandt honked the horn and they all ran into the brush.
There are probably ten turkeys in this picture.
Can you see them all?

Donovan on Bryan's back.
He was uncomplaining riding along.

Blythe with her backpack and her Hello Kitty purse (don't leave home without it!).

On the trail.

Hikers having a break in the shade. 


The falls in the distance.

Bryan and Donovan


My little hikers


Here we all are.  
I asked Blythe to sit down in front of Blake and look at the camera, and this is what I got.









The end!
They made it!

These are Brandt's green Perry the platypus shoes.
They are black. 
Hiking is dirty business.

No comments:

Post a Comment